Wednesday, April 1, 2015

spring mini-break

Not too shabby a view from our balcony


Thanks to our trip to Arizona in February with Papa Ken, I didn't feel too bad about not having any elaborate spring break plans.  I did keep my eyes peeled for bonus time at Grand Lodge in Breckenridge and the week before, was able to score a night.  I told Ryan that Ben and I were going with or without him and he managed to get a day off work so he and Ben could ski.  Ben and I could have extended our time a bit had Ryan not joined us, but we were thrilled he could.  We headed up early Tuesday morning, having been smart enough this time to rent skis in advance.  We were thinking about just getting Ryan a half day ticket, but at a whopping value of $118 instead of the full-day price of $149, Ryan got to ski all day.  Ben still skis free until he's 5 when tickets are $85!!!  Thankfully there's a new program where Colorado kids get 16 free days a year and as Ben skis more, Ryan will have to take advantage of a season pass.  I would NEVER spend $150 for a day of skiing, so I will likely one day have to jump back on the pass bandwagon.  I keep telling Ryan I have a pass to the hot-tub and that's all I need, but he won't buy it. ;)

We arrived just after the lifts opened and the boys got right after it.

Ben had to get his "ski-legs."


They make fabulous clips to keep kiddos ski's in the pizza shape.  Unfortunately, the brand-new ones we brought with us were broken.  I ran all over town and eventually borrowed the personal pair of a ski shop manager.  Thank-you to that angel who turned our whole day around!

Ben didn't particularly enjoy the pommel lift.




After the big lift, the day took a big turn in the positive direction.


There's a video with a little of Ben and a lot of Ryan skiing here. ;)

 The boys made two long runs using the big lift and Ben made great improvements.  We hit up a favorite spot, Empire Burger, for lunch and headed to Grand Lodge.  Ben and I headed for the pools and hot-tubs and Ryan skied right out the back door all afternoon until the lifts closed.  We I enjoyed drinks by the pool and we all enjoyed pizza and salad at the pool for dinner.  Swimming and pizza at the same time meant Ben was in hog heaven.

60 degrees and sunny made for perfect ski-watching.


 
Here's a clip of Ben enjoying the water slide face-first, just as someone directed him not to do. ;)

We did have to rise early and head back to Denver so Ryan could go to work but the escape was delightful and remarkably refreshing for such a short getaway.  I might just have to plan another Grand Lodge adventure soon.
A nice sunrise to bid us adieu

2 comments:

  1. SO gorgeous. I am uber happy Ben is coming around to enjoy skiing with his daddy and your side of the activities looked delightful, indeed. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Ben, the pommel lift = worst. As I said on Instagram, so jealous.. so glad you got to enjoy! And such perfect weather, too! :)

    ReplyDelete