Of course my Ben spotted "the mooooon!" right away.
I laughed him off until I also spotted the magical crescent.
I still don't know why Ben didn't have school today but we sure made the most of it. We'd been trying to "hike in the forest," for some time but our attempts of late had been foiled by the weather. Monday presented a beautiful opportunity so we headed for the hills. I chose Chautauqua park and the Flatirons because I know the trails there and also know you get into the trees really quickly. I wrapped in some Pearl St Mall errands to get the most out of our drive. Speaking of drive, it was a rare one without slowing or traffic and we made it from our house to up on the hill in 35 minutes. As we approached the park, Ben pointed to the sheer rock face of the first Flatiron and said, "when we get to that part we will have to hold on REALLY tight because we didn't bring a ladder." I'm pretty sure it's illegal to climb the part he was referring to and it would require ropes, harnesses, and one helluva grip if one tried. Ben chose our route as we went and for the first time, carried his own weight. He protested at the car when I told him this was how hiking worked, but when given the choice to go home, he chose to carry his pack and happily did the whole time. We encountered the ranger twice and chatted with him. Ben told him on the second meeting, "it's a pretty beautiful day," as he munched on the snack I forced him to pause for. He also told me, when I applauded his efforts and told him how much fun I was having, that, "you know mom, I am a pretty good hiker." His one-liners had me grinning from ear to ear the whole hike. By the end, I was waiting in giddy anticipation of what he might say next. Because of our Boulder errands that included a lunch date, we hiked for about an hour and 40 minutes. I think Ben's limit would've been two hours without a picnic lunch but that's an improvement from last year and we had a blast. I also decided that when I push the limits of his stamina, I'll make sure Ryan is along to help carry him.
The whole experience just delighted me. The sun-warmed pine needles crunched beneath our feet and contrasted the pockets of still-cool morning air. That smell just invigorates the soul. When Ben is hiking like that, he is so well-behaved and in awe of all around him. He doesn't try to wander from the trail and doesn't protest (too much) when we have to begin our descent. His goal is always to make it to the top of the mountain and he's already wise to any attempt to fool him in that department. There is a hike at nearby Sanitas that I did hundreds of times in college where you really do make it to the top of the mountain but it lacks the forest Ben loves. As we walked, I thought a lot about my parents dragging me out for similar adventures as a kid. I certainly didn't have the innate and natural love of it all that Ben does but I'm so glad I developed it along the way so we can continue to share this beautiful love of nature.
up, up and away we go
Ben chose this offshoot of the main trail but it made for the perfect loop.
Anytime we he stopped to rest, he put his hands on his hips and looked out over the city.
He was one happy hiker.
Okay, hiker Ben and his TOO CUTE sun hat and backpack are killing me! It is so neat to see nature through kids' eyes and he will certainly love these adventures for so many years to come. I trust that the ranger took the time to say "hi" and talk TO Ben?!
ReplyDeleteYes! They had two whole conversations! What a concept.:)
DeleteAdorable little hiker!
ReplyDeleteThis still just kills me. Love love love!!
ReplyDeleteSuch a little man! I bet it was fun to watch him take in his surroundings! Such gorgeous scenery!
ReplyDeleteI think a whole series of children's books can be written on Hiker Ben... Especially with that cute face and those conversations! Yay for park rangers! :)
ReplyDelete