Wichita friends Blake and Betsy (who live here now) were thrilled that one of their favorite bands played.
We were there from about noon until 3 on Sunday before Ben made it very clear that a nap would be very important to him surviving the day. MeeMee and I walked him home and when I laid him down to rest he just repeated, "Ben have fun, Ben have fun," as he tried to get up. Ryan made it home shortly after and took him for a drive to force a nap. If only we'd known then how important that would be.
Ben was a lone dancin' fool :)
this inflatable Ninja Course was Ben's favorite. It wasn't long before he realized he was unreachable when in the middle of it.
People started arriving right at 4 so we fired up the grill a little earlier than promised. Throughout the afternoon and evening, more than 40 of our friends and family came for short and looooong visits to help us Welcome Summer.
we were ready for the onslaught of little kiddos
our new table with both leaves fit ten people with ease :)
Here Ben is trying to bargain with Aunt Amy to skip the hot dog.
the Stramel clan including New-roof DeDe
Most people were gone by about 9pm but a smaller group stayed and we all chatted on the deck until just past 11 while the kiddos watched a movie. Ben finally settled to sleep a little before MIDNIGHT!! I kept thinking I was being such a bad mom but I was surrounded by a table full of equally delinquent parents and the kids were all having a blast so, cest la vie!
We all slept in very late Monday, but we had drink and ride tickets left from Sunday to use at the festival so we wandered back for a couple hours. A few trips through the obstacle course for Ben and a couple strong cocktails for Mom and Dad meant we were all ready for the 3 hours nap that shortly ensued.
We enjoyed chilaquiles al fresco Monday morning.
The sun through the jars Monday morning was amazing.
The weekend and late evening were all so delightful that I was quoted as saying we'd host the same every Saturday all Summer. I'm not sure our neighbors or waistlines would be too pleased with that but I'm certainly looking forward to next year.




It all looks and sounds so lovely. My faves are dancing Ben, the summer banner, Heimer midnight bedtimes (gasp!), and those last pretty purple photos. A great start to a fun holiday tradition!
ReplyDeleteBtw, I am curious just what time is considered sleeping in at your house?? ;)
For me, anytime after 7. For Ryan, anything after 8. Ben's schedule of late is 9-9 but he rarely sleeps later than that. I feel like I'm letting him be a lazy bum but boy do I have some productive mornings.:)
Delete