Sadly, last week's fever, that I thought was just that, was the pre-cursor to Ben's first cough and first Real Deal sickness:(. He was only really down for a couple of days last weekend and at the beginning of last week, but the nasty cough is lingering along with a little runny nose. I swear my heart breaks a little with every cough. As I've written before, I think sickness is good and necessary to build immunity, but is no less trying on a Mama's soul. I'm confident Ben only made it this long without a sickness like this because he's not in day care, and he will need to continue to be exposed now and again or face being monumentally sick when he starts preschool.
I am overwhelmingly thankful to the friends that recommended our pediatricians. They wrote a book, (a link for purchase or more info here) which I may have blogged about before, that is a true life-saver. When I opened it at midnight when the fever first struck, Fever was the top item on the handy reference guide. As our Dr's philosophy is blend between traditional western and homeopathic medicine, they offered many homeopathic suggestions for dealing with Ben's cough. Traditional medicines that loosen cough, etc., are not recommended for children as young as Ben so I am very grateful for the handful of suggestions that have proven very helpful. This book will be one of the go-to gifts from now on for anyone I know having a baby.
I definitely think we're on the homestretch of this bug and am confident a stranger would never guess Ben any worse for the wear. My heart is a different story :(. Though as Tante commented on my post about his fever, the extra snuggles are a welcome treat.
What were the suggestions? Just curious.
ReplyDeleteHI - not sure how to do this - but anyway :) so glad to hear you have a doc who is a blend of traditional and non-traditional views when it comes to medicine!! YAY for you and what great fortune for Ben!! I wish I would have known more about it earlier in life!! Don't get me wrong traditional medicine does have it's place ...for sure! GREAT idea for a baby gift!! xoxo CAM
ReplyDelete