Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Everybody's Workin' for the Weekend

Ok, so not EVERYBODY, but I had to put my time in at 3123 in the ICT over the last couple days.  I made the solo trek back Saturday afternoon and immediately drove to Lowe's to get my hands on whatever I could to spruce the curb appeal of our house.  I was a couple weeks early for many of the plants I am used to, but took advantage of MeeMee's spring break to leave Ben in Denver and really get busy.  I gathered things we needed and wanted including our summer wardrobes; planted, pruned and mulched with reckless abandon; turned on the well and sprinklers; arranged lawn care; chatted with friends and neighbors; watched b-ball and had breakfast with friends; and re-cleaned the whole house, all in under 40 hours.  Yes I also got two almost full nights' sleep in:).  
It was a whirlwind but I was very proud of myself for taking on not only the usual tasks but also many things I've never done before.  I was handy with a power tool or two before meeting Ryan and it's important to me to be able to do things he usually does.  I can now add wells and sprinklers to my SAHM resume:).

I had to reach beneath that red knob to find the hidden pipe and my 
hand emerged covered in worms-eeeew!


Cut out some pine trees to replace with this.  I think the trailers will look nice.

Some columbines for a nod to CO and lots of vinca and periwinkle to mound out and over.  Finding drought tolerant plants in the land of rampant over-watering was not easy.


The boys had fun while I was gone and Ben had lots of fun with MeeMee Monday shopping and going to the park.  Ryan admitted that caring for Ben was exhausting and a little bird told me he even quipped one morning, "whew, no wonder Jess is exhausted by the end of the day."  
Ryan did make one fatal mistake during his solo Ben-care time :(.  Before I left, I told him the most important thing about the whole weekend was that Ben have his UNC shirt (that matches mine and that we have both worn for every game of the tourney) on by game-time!! Well, Ryan failed to plan and failed to take Ben's shirt with him to Grandpa Jim and Aunt Christy's birthday celebration.  So, of course, our Tarheels lost:(.  When I start talking to Ryan again I'll be sure to let you know what his punishment is.

3 comments:

  1. Very, very funny post. Your planting looks beautiful!! I wish I could've seen your worm encounter - your reaction would've been priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am impressed with your productivity! The updated curb appeal and rejuvenation of 3123 will, no doubt, help it sell quickly :)

    Glad Ryan got another small glimpse into a day-in-the-life of caring for a toddler. Don't keep him in the dog house too long ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love worms, obviously. When I find them outside, I do usually run them back to my garden though, like the big gardenerd that I am. :)

    ReplyDelete