Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wee Sing

While singing Where is thumbkin? to Ben last week, Ryan commented once again how crazy I was and that it was yet another in a long list of songs he had never heard.  My response was, "didn't you have a Wee Sing book and tape?"  My poor husband had no idea what I was talking about.  I mentioned that I had had several as a child but that my daycare's also had them......both ones I attended and ones I worked at.  I sang a couple more Wee Sing classics hoping to spark some deeply imbedded memory but my love just stood there dumbfounded.  I am terrified.  You see, my husband was reared here in KS and the lack of Wee Sing influence in his childhood not only makes me wonder what else he missed, but what the Nugget might be missing.  Trust me, there are a long list of obvious things I try to make up for......pretending the clouds are mountains, teaching Ben the earth actually is not flat, taking him to cooler climes so he understands some cultures do actually venture outside in the dead of summer.  It's not these obvious things I'm terrified about, but the little things I took for granted that I now see I shouldn't have. 




Well, later that day I whipped out the trusty wireless keyboard and began my search with earnest.  I tracked down several options we could buy locally and Ben and I headed to Barnes and Noble.  I popped the CD in the car for our drive home and what do you know?......by track 2........sleep.  Sleep was not my intention for Ben at that time and when it was time for sleep later, it did not come.  Since then, however, my Nugget has grown to love Wee Sing.  We listen to a few songs a couple times a day and on longer car rides.  I can see his little feet just twirling in high speed circles when we listen in the car and he slaps his thighs to the music both in the car and at home.  We're still working on Dad, but will soon insure he has the Wee Sing Library down as well.

He tried to deny it, but I know he's trying to escape my singing.



Are you all thinking what I'm thinking?????
 I can hardly wait!!

5 comments:

  1. Is he wearing a black shirt and navy shorts?! With your singing and that outfit, I'd try to escape too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. Just two different shades of blue after I put shorts on him in the afternoon. You and your show choir voice will have to teach him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You girls are funny :) While I have heard of 'Where is Thumbkin?', I technically do not know of Wee Sing books either. So, Ryan is not alone, but I DID grow up in Nebraska, so there are many deficits, right ;) Not. Anyway, I will research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had many Wee Sing Silly Songs tapes! =) And Sadly, I remember most of those songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, Nana Pat did some research and it's not that Ryan and Tisha grew up in KS and NE, it's just that they're old. Glad we cleared that up.

    ReplyDelete