Ben and I have nearly completed a six week session of Tot Isty Bitsy Yoga. This is the follow up class to Baby Itsy Bitsy (see link from that class here.) The babes move into tot as soon as they are "active crawlers." Just as peace and serenity fly out the window as babies become toddlers so do they with the move to Tot yoga. Gone are the peaceful music, true mom relaxation time, and gentle bonding with your wee babe. They have been replaced by running, screaming, jumping, incessant apologies for these actions,"I promise Sawyer really is a good kid," and the quintessential mom who so badly needs this time to talk to other adults that she insists on talking over all the other noise! It got so loud and chaotic at one point in last week's class that I really thought about leaving.
Meanwhile the perma-peaceful instructor is at the front of the class softly repeating, "energy is a powerful thing," "energy is an amazing thing."
"Yes, lady, it is! Maybe use some of yours to power this energy down!"
Ben demonstrating Downward Dog
Charlotte giving DD a try while Ben works on Sitting Tree
Ben's own gnawing pose
Ben showing gentle touches
Charlotte perfectly illustrating sitting tree
Despite the craziness, it has been very fun. Ben loves to crawl to the center of the room and look around at everyone watching him. I'm convinced that's the Leo coming out in him. It has been great for him socially and physically as we try the games and poses. I've learned some great calming techniques and like last time we have had fun having friend Charlotte and her mama Carole in the class with us. Also, as with Baby, this six weeks was enough for a while. I think we will take another session before Little Lotus, which begins at age 3, but maybe not until spring. There is a story-time at our closest library at the same time on Thursdays. Now that I know Ben can skip or delay his morning nap without completely breaking down, I think we'll try story-time next. Namaste.


Your description makes me want to go watch! I think your Yoga instructor must be the most Zen person ever.
ReplyDelete