Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mobile Baby-aaaaaaahhh!!

One more interruption before the thrilling conclusion of our Epic Mountain Vacation recap.  Ben started crawling more and more on vacation and when we brought him in last Saturday night and set him down, he took off! I think it must be the comfort of home and the stored curiosity about particular nooks and crannies, and some deep subconscious desire to exhaust his mother.  Sadly, we really need to get serious and get to the YMCA for some energy building exercise as I have been allowing myself not to run in the triple digit temps with crazy humidity.
But I digress, as for the mobile baby-whew!  I now spend any moment of free time when he's awake following him to see what plant or book or cord or unfinished house project (untucked carpet after tile job or torn drywall where a baseboard should be) I need to move or finish or secure.  I am proud of myself for staying very postive with him and not saying no! constantly.  One of my responses might go, "Ben I know you worked so hard to crawl to the vacuum and unwind the cord, but cords can be dangerous and you know what makes Mama sooooo happy? When you play with your toys!! "(as I move him back to his toys only to begin the whole charade again.)  Something tells me he can detect the sarcasm in my voice-if not now, soon!
By request and to more fully illustrate my story, there is a video here.  
I do also realize that I say No! in the video.  Just thought I'd admit it before one of my dear readers pointed it out!
While I am exhausted, I am not complaining.  Watching Ben grow is so fun and his beaming smile as he puts the dog food in his mouth is enough to make any mama proud.

In hopes that any of my newer Mom readers don't make the same mistake, I will share a bad bad mama move from this afternoon.  Ben and I went to Lowe's in attempt to surprise Ryan by buying the new trim for the sliding door so he could cut it, Mama could paint it, and we could knock this project out.  Lowe's does NOT have baby friendly carts and Ben was antsy to say the least.  Finally, as I am maneuvering 8ft long trim pieces into our non-user friendly cart, I just let him sit on the ground.  Yes, I let my baby sit on the ground at Lowe's! Call CPS if you must!  Some well meaning Hispanic gentlemen who needed to pass by us tried to help arrange the cart for me as I moved Ben out of the way.  The younger one muttered something about baby and loco as he walked away.  Hey buddy! this girl knows enough Spanish to figure that one out.  So, next stop is Dillon's to mail some 31 stuff and what do you know?, Ben thinks he can be on the ground everywhere!  It was thankfully near the end of our trip before he got extremely wriggly but I will not make that mistake again.  I have to keep reminding myself this kid is smarter than I give him credit for :).

3 comments:

  1. hahah - he was FIXATED on that plant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an wonderful mom. (I hope you know that!!) I wonder what Ben was thinking during the video... Intense! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is SO fast! I wish I could tell you that it gets easier during this stage. But, for me, it didn't get easier and less time-consuming again until the 'walking well' stage. I will pray that comes sooner than later for you :)

    ReplyDelete