Monday, August 8, 2011

Weekend Update

It just occurred to me that Ben may never understand the SNL reference with "Weekend Update."  Sad.  We had a VERY full and productive weekend.  Ryan was happy with my trim surprise from last week and we knocked out painting the interior trim on the new windows, paining a couple walls, and replacing the trim around the new door.  Ryan also got a good taste of mobile baby and subsequently the dog food and water has moved and lots of the coffee table toppers have found a new home. 


Slider before and after

Bay window before and after



Yesterday was a big day in the milestone department as we sent the exersaucer back to Peter Hall who had lovingly let us borrow it the last 9 months, and Ben started.........wait.........for ..............it...............wait ............for...........it.............Milk!!  Some of you were thinking walking! Admit it!  Yes, we've officially replaced Ben's mid-day bottle with a milk filled sippy cup.  He loved it!  It's been so long since I've had whole milk, what's not to love? That stuff is like cream.  Towards the end of the week, we'll replace the morning bottle and right around his birthday he'll be done with both formula and bottles.  I did cry about it all several times yesterday but as I've said many times in this blog, I'm happy to see him grow, it's just a lot at once right now.  The jump-jump is our only remaining way of corralling him and there are moments when I think we'll be sending him to college tomorrow.  In other changes, I think we may be on the brink of moving to one nap.  Since vacation, Ben has consistently slept 11 hours at night and this pushes his morning nap a bit later, and of course, his afternoon as well, so he is often not waking until 5:30 or 6pm.  We have lots of play dates and visitors this week, but I think we'll try skipping the morning nap on Wednesday and Thursday and see what happens.  Oh how sweet an epic afternoon nap would be! Not to mention the morning activities we can take part in when it happens.......See there I go rushing things again. Would you please just make up your mind!!

Speaking of college, we had a neighbor sponsored ice cream social last night across the street.  The host home has a son in college and one not far behind.  Another neighbor with 11 and 9 year old girls was grilling this Dad about the cost of college, etc. and it was hilarious.  You could clearly tell the thought of it all has been keeping the younger Dad up at night as he'd even been considering the cost of gas vs. plane tickets depending on the region where his daughters might attend.  I'm glad I'm able to set those thoughts aside for another couple years and hey!, maybe that's the purpose of adolescence?  Something tells me when his daughters are 13 and 15 that the cost of college won't be what's keeping him up at night :).

trying the moo juice

Busy Busy Busy
(Ben's music table has a song that goes, "busy, busy, busy."  
We recite it when we are frustrated by the busy, busy, busy ;)



3 comments:

  1. The house looks so bright and fresh, I am impressed! Yay for Ben and all of his milestones. You will FO SHO love that longer afternoon nap once he transitions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see him grow and change, and your windows are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the house would look so much different with those changes. Bravo to you guys!! Ben is getting SO big: crawling...AH! Wish I could be there to hold him. This is the time when I like to play with the babies...when they are active. :)

    ReplyDelete