Friday, October 17, 2014

day in denver

Around these parts, kids from the 'burbs come into the city once a year for "day in Denver."  Luckily for Ben and I, that day comes much more frequently and yesterday we enjoyed a particularly delightful day downtown. 
We rode the e-train right after school and joined Tante for lunch at her office.  As I've said before, the views from the terrace are unreal and this day was wonderfully clear.

he finally gave in.....
 

 After lunch we slowly made our way to the REI playground via confluence park.



"mommy! it's the ocean! Let's get in!"
don't i wish





The last visit to the REI playground ended abruptly and Ben quickly mentioned that if he climbed the slide, he'd have to go straight home.  Obviously that painful lesson had worked.  Our last visit had also been on a summer day so Ben was saddened by the lack of playmates and "big boys," on this day and lost interest surprisingly quickly.



We headed down for a "special milk, " (milk in a Starbucks cup,) and headed outside to the comfy furniture to take a break.  That break lasted a loooooong time and Ben sat next to me without a peep for over 20 minutes just sipping his milk and people-watching.  It was shocking and delightful all at once and made him seem so much older than 4.  Those little glimpses of what someday might be the norm are fun and sad and many emotions all at once.





We slowly made our way back to the train and home with a couple stops to explore on the way.  I'm sad these fun outings might be soon hindered by cooler weather but am relieved at having a side-kick always up for an adventure.

he always insists on getting in this seed pod sculpture that's clearly anything but "comfy-cozy."

3 comments:

  1. Omg - the last picture! His face is killing me. ;) I am jealous of your big city adventures. I am yearning for a big city right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's not supposed to refuse kisses already! ;) I love your adventures! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love his face in the 2nd to last shot. And love that you guys get to come visit me and have a city adventure. And love you both! :) -- Tante

    ReplyDelete