Well, Ben had his most restless night yet last night with this "cold," so I called the Dr. this morning. I was thankful I took him in as he has bronchitis, eye infections in both eyes, and possibly strep. Because the antibiotics will kill it all, they didn't do a strep culture, but based on a quick glance thought it likely.
Ben started out with a mild cold last Thursday and I kept him home. He was seeming much better after the weekend so I sent him to school Monday. Now the goopy, sad, red-eyed face of his one classmate is clicking in my head and whether it was that dear boy or another, I'm sure Ben's slightly suffering immune system couldn't take the added yuck. As these kids only go to school a little more than 2 hours, in my opinion, there is NO reason to send them sick. I get that those are the only free hours for many of us to do many things. Trust me, after having my sick child home for a week, I really get it, but for the sake of us all-keep your sick kids HOME! Please! Ben can go back Monday~ Prasie the Lawd!~ after the drugs I despise kick in and do what his poor little immune system just can't right now.
And, if I am ever that awful parent sending my sick kid to school, please have me read this post!!
The real reason for this post is a much happier one. As we were leaving the Dr. today, Ben sought out both the Dr. that had seen him and the medical assistant among the office staff and thanked them. through his stuffed nose it was more of a, "tank you," but brought smiles and comments from everyone in ear shot. While this wasn't his first unsolicited (or pushed by mom,) "thank you," it was certainly the most sincere, after-the-fact, intentional gratitude I've seen him voluntarily display. As the assistant thanked him back and said she hoped he feels better, he raised his hand without turning around (as if he had somewhere very important to be,) and said, "ok, ok. I will."
I tell ya what people, it's little moments like that that mean the most and give so much hope and meaning to SAHM's like me who give so much of who we are to these little people we love. If Ben only knew how much that little "tank you," will fill my mama tank and motivate me to keep being the best mom-of-Ben I can.
Aww, what a thoughtful and sincere gesture that I'm sure made their day as well. You are raising one smart and sensitive little man - the kind our world certainly needs more of these days. I hope Ben gets rid of the gunk soon! xo
ReplyDeleteDoes this also apply to sick houseguests? As I said, his great, kind soul is a reflection of you! :)
ReplyDelete