Mid-week after Father's Day I got to depart to Crystal Beach, TX for the second year in a row. This year I made my trip an additional day longer and Angela and I were joined late Thursday by friend Tisha for the girls weekend. Tisha introduced Angela to me via bookclub while we all lived in Wichita. Tisha is on her second stop since Wichita and now lives in Iowa and Angela is still at home in the ICT.
Angela commented this year that my whole posture changed within an hour of her picking me up. I think that change didn't come until the last day of the trip last year but this year I knew absolutely how relaxed I'd be. :) Angela had started a Pinterest board to plan our menu and purchased almost all the food before I arrived. We stopped in Galveston for lunch at a "locals" restaurant I'd read about on the plane and Shrimp and Stuff did not disappoint. The OVERLY sweet unsweetened tea was a quick reminder I wasn't in Kansas (or CO) anymore.
After a quick stop for a few groceries, beer and sangria supplies, we settled in at the beach house for 3.5 days of sun, sand, sleeping, reading and chatting. HIstoricallly high seaweed levels required a little bit of creative "beaching" but constant highs in the mid-80's made for perfect not-too-hot weather. Late nights with the girls meant I didn't get up to run before the heat and humidity were a bit too much but some brisk walks on the beach and through the neighborhood meant hauling my running shoes was not a waste.
I have come to absolutely desire every moment of this beach trip. It recharges my mama (and wife) batteries in a way nothing else can. When the only agenda is relaxation and you have a plan-full and gracious host like Angela, all your real-world worries and concerns melt away like margarita popsicles on a screen porch.
I wish I could put into words what this trip means to me to appropriately express my thanks to the house's owners, Angela's in-laws. Big thanks to them, Angela, Tisha, my mom for watching Ben, and Ryan for making this trip a priority for our family and holding down the Heimer Haus while I'm gone.
I flew on Southwest Airline's 43rd b-day and enjoyed a free cocktail in their honor.
The mud rivers of the mid-west and southern US still baffle me.
Shrimp and Stuff
DELICIOUS margarita popsicles
Angela's feet and LOTS of seaweed
Settling in the sand and sun with sangria
My fave pic of the trip!
As day drinking is my favorite kind and something I almost never get to do as a parent, I tried HARD to get my co-horts on board.
A little BIG STORE love
Yep. this one says it all.
more BIG STORE fun
departure morning meditation
Angela and I were blessed with easy-going husbands as the only weekend that worked for Tisha to join us at the beach fell on Ryan's birthday and Angela's anniversary. MeeMee kept Ben an extra night so Cole and Amy could take Ryan out on the town to celebrate. Amy also helped deliver Ryan's gift of a new car and track for his Anki set so the boys raced cars while Amy snoozed on the sofa.
On Saturday while I was gone, Ryan took Ben to friend Hailey's birthday pool party and Ryan and Ben enjoyed some b-day time with Nana and Papa before picking me up Sunday.
Moscow Mules are Ryan's Summer drink of choice
A happy kid and well-wrapped gift showed Daddy had everything under control ;)
swimming at Nana and Papa's
Only with Daddy




LOVED my time with you girls! That last pic has me chuckling, as it is only seen in this house with Daddy, as well. :)
ReplyDelete