Richard was something of a sports journalist celebrity in the DFW area but was an even more amazing husband and father. The tributes that poured in instantly after his passing were testament to all the lives he touched and the special person he was......
"The only criticism I ever had of Richard Durrett was that he was too nice," ESPN colleague Tim MacMahon said.
"Covering a major sports beat isn't a lot of fun most of the time.
You are always trying to beat the other guy, get the scoop. You make things a competition because that's part of the business. It's always been that way and it probably always will be.
Richard Durrett was part of that but Richard was different. He was better than the beat because of the kind of person Richard was. In a cut-throat business Richard didn't fit in because he was nicer than the rest of us. That's what made him so special."
"Befriending practically every person who crossed paths with him or helping as many folks as possible just came naturally to Richard Durrett,"
Richard had bugged Ryan and I about having a second kid while we chatted at the rehearsal dinner and absolutely beamed when showing off his own beautiful kiddos. On Sunday, after the wedding, and while saying good-bye, Richard remarked about bringing his family to Colorado to ski. I offered to watch his kids while he skied and he commented that he'd never do that and how he couldn't wait to feel the pride a Dad feels while watching his kids ski for the first time. I can tell you I'll never take watching Ben ski for granted and not a day has passed that I haven't hurt and prayed for Rob and his family. Mostly I pray for Richard's wife, Kelly, because I don't know where and how she finds the strength to go on. I think it's silly sometimes how we as humans try to make sense of tragedy but I also know every person who's life was touched by Richard will do well to set about the rest of their days living just a little more like he did. Richard was patient and genuine in a way no one else I've ever met has been. When you talked to him it really felt like you were the only person in the room or the world and you had 110% of his attention. I've already tried to put that focus and caring into practice in my conversations and relationships and I know lots of others who knew him are living with more kindness and intention in his honor.
Richard Lamar Durrett, Jr.
October 13, 1975 - June 17, 2014
Richard Lamar Durrett, Jr., age 38, passed away June 17, 2014 in Plano, Texas. He was born October 13, 1975 in Atlanta, Georgia. Richard attended Christ the King Elementary School and Marist High School before moving to Montreal, Canada at age 16 with his family. There he graduated from Lower Canada College in 1994.
Pursuing an interest in sports journalism, Richard attended Texas Christian University graduating with a BS in Radio-TV-Film in 1998. During his time at TCU Richard broadcasted play by play for the women’s basketball team, co-hosted a sports talk radio show, wrote for the Daily Skiff, and was an enthusiastic member of the TCU Marching Band. It was in the band that he met his future wife, Kelly Neumon.
Richard began his professional career broadcasting play by play for the Idaho Falls Braves, a minor league baseball team. His next move brought him back to Texas broadcasting for the Fort Worth Fire hockey team, writing for the Grapevine Sun, and later moving to the Denton Record-Chronicle. He then accepted a position with The Dallas Morning News where he spent nine years covering local high school sports, motor sports, college sports, professional hockey and golf, and the Rangers.
In 2001 Richard and Kelly were married in Albuquerque, New Mexico and eventually settled in Wylie, Texas. Their son, Owen, was born in 2008 followed by daughter, Alice, in 2010. Richard was active in the choir at Northway Christian Church, enjoyed reading historical non-fiction, and was well-known for his breadth of knowledge. A family man in the truest sense, Richard was a devoted husband and father.
In 2009, Richard joined ESPNDallas.com covering the Texas Rangers and other sports, as well as co-hosting a local sports radio show on ESPN 103.3. A versatile journalist, Richard was a prolific writer, blogger and contributor to ESPN programming.
Richard is survived by his wife, Kelly Durrett; son, Owen Durrett; daughter, Alice Durrett; and a baby on the way due in January; parents, Lamar and Barbara Durrett; brother, Robert Durrett and his wife, Carolyn; two sisters in-law, Katherine Neuman and Rachel Cooley; and numerous other family members.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made at texasrangers.com/foundation or through the mail at Richard Durrett Family Fund, Texas Rangers Baseball Foundation, 1000 Ballpark Way, Suite 400, Arlington, TX 76011. Donations made through the Rangers Foundation in his memory will be directed to the Richard Durrett Family Fund.
Beautiful tribute to a wonderful man.
ReplyDeleteSo sad. :( I'm sorry, friend! That was such a well-written post!
ReplyDeleteI think of he and his family often because of how you and Angela have spoken of Richard. Blessings to all.
ReplyDelete