Saturday, June 14, 2014

2nd and final S. Josephine St block party

I did say several times last year that I wouldn't undertake the block party again, but I did.  I actually had the date planned in January because even back then I had about 8 things to do on June Saturdays and only 4 days to do them in-eeek!  In the end I changed the day to accommodate some neighbors which meant I had to work for part of the event.  The weather was less then cooperative for part of the event but cleared to make for a very enjoyable evening.  Although we all bring our own food, and some to share, there's a lot that has to happen for a city street to be closed.  I have to get a petition signed by 75% of the neighbors, buy insurance, and appear in person for a permit.  Long story short, the permit people were less then friendly or efficient and it took hours to get. This year the barricade restrictions were much more strict and I tasked Ryan with taking care of them.  Well-timed constrution being done on our street meant the perfect barricades were already in place.  Despite my thinking they'd be left and available after talking to one of the workers, they were picked up and removed just hours before the event.  SUPER RYAN to the rescue!!! How my brilliant husband pulled this together in hours with Ben in tow is still beyond me but he certainly does work best under pressure.



This "free" on the road soccer goal I'd insisted we snag worked perfectly.


the other end


Last year neighbors had requested a longer event including a bounce house so I made that happen.  Another neighbor contacted the fire department and they brought a truck for the kids to explore and even turned the hoses on.
the bounce house arrived hours early before the cars were moved









oh man this pic!!




Sadly, and perhaps due to weather, many people who said they would attend did not and many who said they wanted a bounce house did not contribute.  This meant the Heimer Haus footed the bill for a big portion of the insurance and bounce house. Ben did spend nearly 7 hours jumping :) and another neighbor bringing his fire pit out meant the festivities lasted until the wee hours for my husband and a couple others.



The event does bond the block and creates lasting memories for the kids.  I hope the tradition continues and someone decides to plan and execute next year-in a pre-paid fashion, of course. :)

3 comments:

  1. The fireman pic... I swear. Also, you are my hero for taking this on. I hope that some of the families who said they would pay finally pay up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah dudes.. I all at once am thinking you did such a great job + also people, come on! Help a girl out! :) Regardless, AMAZINGNESS. Are you for hire? Block Party Planner?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that statement as a, "Hell no, neighbors! I will not plan this again, thank you very much!" said in the usual tactful and smile-filled Jess manner. ;) What an amazing job you did. I hope your neighbors know how lucky they are to have the Heimers. Ryan's blockades and that fireman photo are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete