Well today it came to pass. I did somehow think we might be lucky enough to avoid separation anxiety all together. Silly me! This morning Ben was excited about his backpack and lunch box and unusual before school bath (it was picture day), but his excitement waned quickly. I started to lead him down the front steps once and then he ran back and gripped the bars of the storm door crying, "home! HOme! HOme!" My heart broke then but I swallowed the lump and started getting way too excited about his school and friends and teachers. I read to him through his mirror all the way to school and taking his book with him seemed like it might help but the tears started before we hit the classroom door. I sat with him for a moment and encouraged him to read but things didn't improve. I lead him to a table with his teacher and friends and assured him that I loved him and would be back soon. Whew! It was rough and heartbreaking and I was sure the tears would not stop quickly this day.
The couple of hours before pickup flew by with grocery shopping, unpacking and cleaning to keep me busy. It was on the trip back to school that I finally lost it. A couple of red lights and a VERY slow elderly driver in front of me put me over the edge. I was crying and yelling to the other drivers about not understanding, "that my baby needs me and this is an emergency-get out of my way!!" Ben was happy as a clam when I picked him up and had had a very full day. He was the star of pictures and all the teachers commented on how he knew just what to do :).
Ms. Danae also mentioned Ben isn't using any words at school :(. This threw my heart right back in the ringer. We talked about the 30ish or so words he does have and also that some are not enunciated very clearly. I mentioned that his Dr. was not concerned and she said she wasn't either-yet. As there are two holidays coming up, we decided we would talk again about it at conferences in early November. She and Ms. Julie also welcomed any ideas I might have about getting him to talk more. I have since brainstormed that maybe I will make a list of words he does know so they can encourage his use of those as well as of the signs he uses. I will certainly report on whether that helps.
I did mention to the teachers that we had had a quick and fun family vacation this weekend and that perhaps not having a quiet Monday at home had thrown Ben off a bit. They agreed that might be the case as this new anxiety after the start of the year is not as common.
As for me, I'll post about our fun mini-vaca tomorrow. I sorted through pictures of the wonderful friends we saw that live much too far away, and that plus our morning has put me on emotional overload.
Boys and their words... We wait a lifetime and they still don't use them in a way we can understand... Trying for a little levity here, ha! He'll get there. You and I know it will happen. :)
ReplyDeleteSorry it was such a rough morning. If there is one thing I have learned about 2 year-olds, it is that they are emotional little crazy people.
ReplyDeleteAnd Ang is right, the words will come. Just like I am confident one day BG will run full-speed, kick balls with fury, and climb with no fear. One day. ;)