Tante got the day off to join us and the three of us spent the morning at Ikea. Yes, for those of you wondering, a morning at Ikea is just what Ben asked for :). Actually we had a lovely early morning in the back yard. Ben has REALLY enjoyed the slide left behind by previous owners.
To celebrate, we got pizzas from local and delicious haunt Wash Park Grill and were joined by Nana, Grandpa and MeeMee for dinner, dessert and presents.
Pizza is one of Ben's favorites these days and he got his own layered cake creation as the rest of us indulged in an apple pie we got to bring home from the wedding.
Ben had more fun than he has thus far opening gifts though really seemed to want to stop and enjoy them along the way. It's a shame that as humans by the time we really understand gifts we want to open them all at once. I made a big Mama faux pas in the gift opening as I tried to save the guests' gifts for last. Based on Ben's intense interest in friend Grace's guitar, Ryan and I got him a small toy guitar and I mistakenly let him open it part way through his gifts. Sadly, after that he only had eyes for the guitar and nothing else could sway his interest. We did eventually get through the other gifts but had to distract him with a bath later in the evening and hide the guitar. It's since been brought out of hiding and other toys are again welcome in Ben's daily fun. I will say that all in attendance and all sending gifts from afar did an amazing job! The gifts were educational, fun and all of them have quickly become Ben's favorites (and Mama's too :).
a very soft jacket from ICT neighbors Bruce and Cheryl
handsome Luke
a new favorite from the TS's
(I thank you for the hours this entertains him!)
A Sesame Street cooking book from Mama and Dada
Then came the guitar
a quick kiss for baby Michael Peter
A short cake break.....
"but I can still see the handle!"
a vast improvement in manners in the last year :)
Well, since I covered the physical milestones in the previous well-child post, I'll provide some insight and observation into my Monk-a-doo at 2. By the way, Monkey Doodle Britches is quite a mouthful so has been shorted of late to Monk-a-doo and sometimes Monk-a.
Though I'm no expert, I do think Ben continues to do well in the fine motor skills department. He's recently started "tying our shoes" when he gets a hold of athletic shoes and his quick whip around and slow pull to finish are hilarious. Of course it is just a jumble of laces but his pride and the round of applause he gives himself put me over the top. He is still LOVING all balls big and small and has quite an arm with tennis balls these days. We have raised his basketball hoop and my heart is warmed when he chooses his authentic UNC mini ball over all other balls that fit in the hoop.
Ben and Luke's love for each-other continues to grow and Ben often stops in the yard, mid-run for a pet and a kiss before going on about his mission. Talk about heart-melting! Ben is also mastering gentle touches and is obsessed with all things baby. Ben gives kissies and soft touches to all babies real and play and is stopped in his tracks each day at school by the many carriers brought in by other mamas in his class.
In the eating department, Ben is on an upswing!! His picky-ness has started to subside and I am amazed each day when I offer things he has recently refused that he suddenly loves again. He now also drinks more of our morning Green Monster smoothies so I feel good knowing he's getting big servings of fresh spinach a few times a week.
The two year molars are now nearly in-finally!, which means the binky will soon be a thing of the past. We have toyed with getting rid of it since he switched to just having it for sleep at just over 6 months. We have a road trip coming up in a couple weeks where it might be quite handy but no travel scheduled for some time after that so both Ryan and I know the time has come! We also need to formulate plans for potty-training and a toddler bed in the coming months-yikes!
Thankfully, the terrible of two has yet to find Ben. Most of the time he is incredibly happy and an absolute joy to be around. I have always said how much I love babies and infants but right now I am loving watching Ben explore the world and find joy in it's simple mysteries. I continue to feel overwhelming gratitude that I get to spend my days delighting in all that is Ben. Thank you my little Love!





A future musician! :) Happy 2nd birthday to sweet Ben. He sure is full of life and can light up a room in an instant. We are all so blessed to watch your Monk-a-Doo grow!
ReplyDelete