Thursday, June 14, 2012

Goodbye AZ




Ben and I returned earlier this week from a week + in Fountain Hills helping my Dad and Aunt clean out my grandparents home in preparation for its sale.  It was a long and tough visit, both physically and emotionally.  It was also a great lesson to THROW THINGS AWAY!! Not just to throw things away, but to donate, re-purpose, or not buy them in the first place.  I could write for days about the crazy things my grandmother kept that are now on the Goodwill store shelves or at the Veterans Shelter.
I think the trip had a finality for my Dad and Aunt that I felt only earlier when my grandparents died as I had fewer connections to the "stuff."
I was thrilled to get to spend time with my Aunt and her daughter who I hadn't seen in almost 14 years.  My cousin has grown into a beautiful and motivated adult and I'm excited to see where life takes her as she embarks on a new job with a new PHD in a new city with the man she loves. 


 Swimming with Cousin Al:




Ben was quite a trooper on this trip and I wondered how I would balance him with all the work.  He watched WAY more television than I usually allow which left me feeling very guilty.  He literally jumped for joy when we walked back into MeeMee's house and he spotted all his beloved toys.  He also broke in his nap mat and nearly broke me in the process.  The first nap went well, but after that I had to lay with him (often holding him down) for at least 40 mins before every nap and bedtime.  The room was far from baby proofed and there were enough fun and loud distractions that I'm sure he would have never slept if I had just left him.  Things would be different in our own home but right now I'd be happy to keep him in his crib forever.  I know the toddler bed transition is a topic to be discussed at his 2 yr dr appt and that they will be wanting to hear my plan.  I'm not sure if "discuss again in 1 year" will pass the test??  Other than the sleeping, Ben did amazingly well.  We did swim every day and made one park trip.  Ben still LOVES the water and has no fear.  My cousin who was quite a swimmer was impressed with his comfort level in the water and the ease with which he would go from back to front and put his head under.  I am quite excited for him to experience the ocean in 6 weeks:).
The rocks, cacti, steep hills, scorching hot black top and lack of side walks made it a very un-kidfriendly place.  The heat has never really bothered me, but as a mother it was a whole different story.  As least in colder climes, we can bundle up to go out.  110 degrees and unfriendly terrain left us few options.







with cousin Halia



trying popcorn for the first time with Grandpa (and spoiling dinner)

Bill dog cuddling with Jelly

dumpin' and runnin'

this rusty mailbox was always so juxtaposed for me against their beautiful house

such amazing 360 degree views


Trips to Arizona have been a nearly annual (and sometimes more often) occurrence for longer than I can remember.  I will have no trouble finding other places to go :) and said goodbye with a warm heart full of happy memories of the people who are gone and the time we spent together.  My grandparents marriage was an inspiration until the end and my grandmother will always embody the mother, wife, sister and friend I want to be.


2 comments:

  1. Such a heartfelt post. I'm sure your grandparents are smiling down and are very proud of you for putting so much time and energy into helping with their homestead. :)

    ReplyDelete