(I started this post last week and didn't finish before Ben and I headed to meet the movers in Wichita. That might explain any timeline confusion for those in the know.)
Last week on the same day his Dada turned 35, Ben hit the 22 month mark. Only two monthly updates to go :(. Ben seemed to take his milestone with more enthusiasm than his Dad did his and after a couple of weeks of status quo in the development department, here we go again...............
Ben's newest words are snack and grapes which are more like, "ynack ynack" and "gape gape" (gape is yelled loudly if Mama refuses or demands more meat is eaten first.) We're all trying to use words singularly so Ben doesn't go to kindergarten thinking his name is Ben Ben. Last week he grabbed my hand, drug me upstairs, pointed to the bathtub and made the sign for please. So, although the words are still coming, Ben is getting much better at using the tools he does have to communicate his desires. He is also mimicking sounds immediately after we say them and with much more frequency than before. We've had one occurrence of "cook" and "good job" as clear as day but not repeated yet. We might just make some real progress before his 2 year Dr. appt :).
Ben is becoming more adept at using the stair rails rather than crawling and has to be frequently reminded to get down and turn around when steps are big or steep. His dancing these days is priceless with many moves put together and he continues to surprise me with moves and motions from his dance class that I wasn't sure he had picked up.
We were considering turning Ben's car seat soon and before the currently "recommended" two years, but after talking to a friend who deals with car accidents every day in her work, we will press on as long as possible and also hopefully figure out a way to keep him in the middle when we turn him. As the wife of an engineer, the terminology she used as well as the countless examples were enough to scare me into following the guideline.
Ben's utensil use has improved by leaps and bounds in just the last couple of weeks. Where he had previously strongly disliked metal spoons and forks, he now demands them and uses them quite well. I am on a mission to find kiddo-sized metal utensils not made by Gerber (that we boycott because they are owned by Nestle) as I think their smaller size might be more efficient and easier to use.
What hasn't improved in the eating department is Ben's preference for a wide range of foods. He is becoming more and more picky everyday and his tastes change as quickly as the calendar. I will continue to attempt balance in offering him things he likes and doesn't and yes, some days it will be "take it or leave it."
The 22 month birthday sadly ended quite horribly. Tante joined us for dinner to celebrate Ryan's birthday and Ben was CRANKY all evening. He had to be nearly rocked to sleep and awoke mere moments after my head hit the pillow at 10 pm screaming. Sadly the screaming persisted for nearly 3 hours and was joined by kicking, flailing and only moments of calm and content. I was so disoriented by the screaming I didn't put two and two together until Ryan Googled something along the lines of my two year old is going crazy and came up with MOLARS!! Ben had had a low fever earlier in the week followed by some uncharacteristic stuffiness. I felt so silly as it was quickly made so obvious. A dose of Motrin and some Valerian root helped him make it through the night and following days. There are sadly still no teeth poking through but they are getting closer and closer. I pray they all 4 come in as quickly as his other teeth did and he is out of pain soon.
Ben continues to be very tuned in to other people's emotions and seems overly adept at manipulation of those emotions for his age. I know it's just the wonderful Two's starting but boy can this boy test with the best of them:).
Mostly Ben continues to delight all of us and warm his Mama's heart everyday. I'm still brought to tears frequently by my overwhelming love for him and the blessing he is in our lives. I'm ever so thankful I get to spend my days watching him grow:).
Lately I've been imagining Ben's love of water will take him to the Olympics someday.....:)
Checking out the neighbor's sprinklers
Let's get right in there!
Waiting for the Old town Arvada pop-a-jets to start.............
Ben is such a little fish! I am loving how much he is learning so quickly. Such a smart boy. And those testing of limits don't stop aaaaanytime soon. ;)
ReplyDelete