Sunday morning we bundled up and hit the road bright and early to meet Tante and MeeMee and head to the hills for Ben's first real Christmas tree cutting experience. We headed to Red Feather Lakes northwest of Fort Collins where the forest service has identified an area that could use the aid of thinning smaller trees for fire prevention and forest health. MeeMee made delicious breakfast burritos for the trip and we made it to Smoky the Bear just after noon (and Ben's carseat lunch) for a photo opp.
We then drove on searching for the perfect spot to pull over and begin the hunt. It seems that each year we determine we should have gone farther before stopping. Ben and I stayed in the warm car this year as wind, snow and 13 degrees did not a happy Nugget make. Ben enjoyed being in the car but out of his carseat and we had a lot of fun anticipating the others trekking back with a tree. I will post pics of the decorated tree as soon as it is :). Steak and black bean chili was waiting for us back at MeeMee's and we got back to Nana and Grandpa's as yet another snow storm took hold of the Denver area. When Ben and I watch the weather and discuss the Canadian Coldfronts from Cadyn of Calgary, we talk lately about how if she sent fewer, they would be more wonderful when they came-hint! hint!
Cheerios beat snow and cold any-day
Yes, Jelly got in on the action too!
Love this handsome man!!

He is losing too much baby-ness too fast! Make it stop!!! :) Sounds like so much fun. I love the pics with Smokey the bear. And remember... Only you can prevent forest fires. (I couldn't help it.)
ReplyDeleteDon't blame us, we are newbies! ;) Looks like such a fun time. And, man, you guys eat well!
ReplyDelete