Thursday, December 22, 2011

16 Months, wait....2 years.....ok.......16 Months

My Pampers.com 16 month update said, 

"Month 16 - Personality Plus
 
Hello Jessica,

Most parents are amazed at how strong their child's personality is at this age. As a toddler takes on new challenges every day, his own style and temperament become more and more distinct. Pay attention to your child's unique characteristics - they're not going anywhere anytime soon. In this issue, discover the importance of letting your child make choices, read up on how to handle control struggles, pick up helpful tips on must-have gear, and more.
  and... As your child gains more independence, struggles about control over everything from bedtime to toothbrushing will be common. Don't be afraid to be firm! It's important to support your child's growing confidence, but that doesn't mean he should believe that everything's negotiable. Children feel more secure if they have limits they can count on they become anxious if the rules change or they suddenly have more power than they expected."

Wow! It could not have been more timely. Ben turned 16 months on Tuesday but celebrated by acting like a full blown 2 year old on Monday. He seemed to have found LOTS of independence overnight and a will to get his way I thought I'd have several more months to prepare for. He is quickly learning how strong he is, how to change directions on a dime and to squeeze through nearly any barricade put in his way. He is also showing his anger and frustration in very clear but more animated ways than ever before.  Despite all this, he is SO much fun! He is learning new things so quickly and when he attempts dangerous things with that glimmer in his eye, I can't help but giggle.
In really great news, Ben has started putting his toys away into different bins and also helps move the laundry from the washer to dryer!! Thanks MeeMee for the latter:).
In the last month his walking has come a long way and in the last week he's learned to stand up from sitting adeptly without the aid of furniture or wall.  He loves to carry things around while he walks and throws ball of all shapes and sizes out in front of himself and chase after them.  He is babbling away in the morning with more inflection and different sounds and though he has yet to say, "MeeMee" on command, he does walk around saying, "me...me...me." His favorite books remain the same and though Tante and I had hoped that he'd love Charlie Brown Christmas with sounds as much as the Great Pumpkin, his love of it appears to be slow going.  He got an early Christmas gift of Scout the Dog from the Lineberry's and loves him.  He loves that Scout knows his name and is always happy to oblige with a hug when Scout requests. 
My favorite thing Ben has learned in the last month is to DANCE!! And Yes, I could probably post 50 videos of pre-and post-dancing as I have yet to catch him in the act.  He makes a wide scoop with his right arm from his belly all the way around to his back over and over quickly while turning his head in Stevie Wonder fashion and stepping in place from side to side.  Lately he prefers "walk dancing," so the stepping is lost but I could watch my Monkey dance all day.  I will hope that with more people around over the holidays, I can get a decent video.  
Ben's next well-toddler visit isn't for 2 months so I hope we've narrowed down a house location a bit and can choose a Dr. close to home.  If I wanted to step on the scale I could weigh him, but I do know he's grown taller since we've been here as he is inching up the Heimer Height tracker on the door jamb. 

For your picture pleasure I present, A Lap in Photos.  This is what we do about 300 times a day.  Plus eat, nap and repeat.........


Up the stairs...

Nevermind! down....

Here I come!

Pause to play piano

Touch patterned chair

to the family room...

OOps! back up...


Pause to play (briefly)

Ok, turn around ....

Move bike out of way....

leave this room for real this time....

Lap around the island.....
rare moment of rest....

back in the living room....

touch other chair.....

check out the dining room....


back to the family room.....


whoops-a-daisy....

back up and across the room....


and in a momentary and rare basement visit...
walk from box to desk.....

back to box....

back to desk....


 I'm tired! Are you?


I've been coveting this little Carter's elephant ensem for many months.  I refused to pay $30, but got an amazing after Thanksgiving deal JUST IN TIME.  This collection ends at 18 months and Ben has already nearly outgrown this gray and chartreuse wonder so he wears it lots and my heart delights.  Simple things please this Mama :).


2 comments:

  1. I love that you've documented his emerging..errrm...personality. Also love all the photos of his laps around the house. Such a perfect snapshot of life right now. Nuggs - your tantrums make me laugh and your independence has been one of my favorite things about you since you very first arrived. Even as a teeny tiny nugget, we knew you liked to do things on your own (i.e., fall asleep). Love you, little man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, if you could bottle that energy... Think of all the things I could get accomplished. Miss you guys, but I am so glad I have your blog to follow.

    ReplyDelete