Monday, November 15, 2010

Jewish?

I mentioned to Ryan's Mom as we were leaving church Sunday morning, "maybe this is his way of telling us he wants to be Jewish."  Not sure she thought it was as funny as I did.
This was a weekend of many firsts for Ben; his first visit to church, his first wedding (reception), and his first inconsolable breakdown (in church.)


Ben started fussing a little as soon as we sat down at church and Ryan took him back to the "cry room."  After one more attempt to sit with us, we did not see them again.  I walked back to find Ryan and take over  so he could receive communion and could not find them anywhere.  I even walked out to the car where a sweet older lady followed me and asked if I was looking for my husband.  She mentioned they were in the kitchen.  That's where I found a distraught husband, a mostly naked screaming baby, and the contents of the diaper bag strewn about the floor.  Ryan left to get communion and Ben instantly fell asleep in my arms.  I think he finally felt a safe place to give in to sleep and sensed my calm that had long since left his Dad.  Ben had spent most of Saturday hanging with Dad and Grandpa while I cooked and cleaned and then had Nana Pat and Grandpa Jim oogling over him Saturday night and Sunday morning.  I think just too many new and different things all at once and church was sadly the breaking point.  We will try again next week.


Sunday evening we attended the wedding reception of Tasha (Ryan's Co-worker) and Josh who were married two weeks ago in Central Park (tre romantic, the tic there is pronounced "teek.")  Ben did super great during the reception and allowed Mom and Dad to socialize and relax a bit.  Thanks Buddy! and Cheers to the many other firsts ahead!


Cuddling with Dad Saturday morning


Friends Onie and Jay at the wedding


The happy couple cutting the cake


Ben at the wedding-unfortunate but typical bib attire



2 comments:

  1. YES! I've always wanted a Jewish family memeber so that we could have Passover :) Remember to tell him that whatever he believes in is just fine.

    PS - can't even wait for a big family snuggle in your princess bed next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molls, first, I'm the queen. Second, we can have passover anytime-I've got that down to the aiffekommen. And third, you know I'll take it beyond anythings fine to asking him why he thinks what he does and making sure he's thought about it :)

    ReplyDelete