Monday, January 12, 2015

Skip

Ben has started on a great new adventure with his old speech therapist Cathy in the form of a sweet old horse named Skip.  Cathy has been teaching horse-back riding for a very long time and also teaches both hippotherapy (for speech and attention), and horse therapy (for autism and other emotional needs.) You can read to the bottom of this link and also click through at the bottom for more info if you're really interested.  Ben gets hippotherapy and we've been to 3 sessions now.  The winter weather makes things tricky but so far we've attended all as scheduled.  It is a 110 mile round-trip but Cathy is amazing and she and Ben have an amazing relationship.  I still use skills I learned from her in our at-home learning time, etc., everyday.
Ben gets Skip ready by brushing him and using the hoof pick and getting his bare-back pad.  He moves around while riding and also does learning tasks like writing, puzzles, etc., and learns to give Skip commands at certain markers and locations.
Ben absolutely loves it and the science behind it all is quite fascinating.  He stays quite focused for the hour we are there and it's a great work-out for his body and brain.
We try to go on Saturdays so Ryan has been able to get really involved and be Ben's side-walker.  I enjoy watching and soaking in the country, animals and adjacent mountains.  I will keep you all updated on the progress and take a video one session soon, as well.





Annette (with her back to the picture) who owns the farm and Skip, and her daughter help each session by leading Skip per Cathy's commands.


Skip didn't know how to get the treat off the floor so now Ben feeds him with his bucket. :)

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience and beautiful backdrop. Way to go, Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horses.. Mountains.. Fresh air.. *deep breaths* Mm. :) horses are so good for stuff like that- I love that you have access to that. Looking forward to updates + hearing more about Ben + Skip's friendship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been dying for this post, and now that I've read it about 1300 times, I still want to know more. :) Thanks for sharing, friend!

    ReplyDelete