Monday, December 22, 2014

Lights of Love




Last night our neighborhood hosted the first ever Lights of Love Luminaria to combat local childhood hunger.  Together we raised over $3,300 for NO KID HUNGRY COLORADO. That gives children in Colorado up to 23,000 nutritious meals! The event was sponsored by a local realtor who paid for all the Luminaria supplies.  The money raised was cash donations from those who participated.  As we saw on our walk to check out the lights, many families used the opportunity to host holiday gatherings.  MeeMee, neighbor Arnold's and the Lineberry's joined us for festive drinks and lots of yummy treats.  I hope the event catches on and that lots more families join in the coming years.  I spent a lot of time throughout the evening thinking about how blessed we are to never be hungry.  At this time of year more than any other, our pantries and fridges are overflowing with delicious traditions that we all eat too many of.  I love that this event benefits kids very locally and that 100% of the donations go straight to the cause.

Here's a movie of the set-up and lights.....


Luminaria
A luminaria or farolito is a small paper lantern which is of significance in New Mexico and in southwest United States at Christmas time, especially on Christmas Eve.

When I was a kid and would spend some of my Christmases in Arizona, the ENTIRE town would be filled with luminarias on Christmas EveI so vividly remember the anticipation as we sat through Christmas Eve mass knowing the whole town would be aglow on our journey home.  It made the world feel so small on a night already filled with so much love.  If it doesn't catch on in the next few years here, I might have to take my boys south for the Holidays one year so they can experience the magic. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I would love to see the whole town in lights. :) What a wonderful idea, and I hope it catches on too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so neat! My mom's aunt + uncle do this in their town (Cozad). So neat you guys add the collection for the kids! And Arizona sounds amazing.. I'd love to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool that it was in your own neighborhood. Way to add on your own fun gathering to enjoy the beauty even more!

    ReplyDelete