Monday, August 4, 2014

night terrors are absoutely terrifying

The weather wasn't the only down-side to Breck this year.  With the combination of an unfamiliar place, altitude, and swimming 'till his trunks fell off, Ben experienced his first night terrors.  The first one started with screaming and crying and after he didn't immediately settle, we took him into the shared living room where he lost his mind screaming and shouting.  His eyes were huge and red and un-blinking and I was quickly crying right along with him.  Thank goodness MeeMee was there to identify what was going on and stop me from running into the hallway in the middle of the night screaming for a doctor.  We did get him settled thanks to Ryan's singing and learned with the rest of the terrors that came how to handle them better.  Any nap kept the terrors at bay and on the nights they came, keeping him in bed and soft singing helped pretty quickly.  In my research, I read about some that last up to a half an hour!  Ben's were all five minutes or less but were clustered frequently in some cases.  The comforts of home have kept the terrors away and I hope we never see them again.  Thanks again to MeeMee for her knowledge and calming!

3 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how fast your heart must have been racing. Thank goodness for your mom and that Ryan was there, too. May you never see those nasty terrors again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so awful, I feel so bad for you all. I know you are so thankful for MeeMee's help, and I also hope they never appear again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.. So scary. I would definitely be crying with B too. :(

    ReplyDelete