Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spooning in Breck


This past weekend we had a mostly delightful trip to Breckenridge with the Heimers (Nana and Papa) and the Witherspoons, (Christy, Dave, Ian and Luke and Dave's parents, Bruce and Diane.)  Nana had wanted to have a family ski trip and after some difficulty finding an affordable and small place during Spring Break, the Witherspoons kindly made room at their mountain house for all of us.  By Friday at dinnertime we had all arrived and made plans for skiing for the grown-ups and kiddos alike the following day.  I awoke at 5 to get breakfast in the oven for the skiers and start consuming the copious amounts of coffee I thought I might need to get Ben to the ski hill.
Shortly after the skiers departed, Bruce and I took Ian and Ben outside to play in the snow.  Spring sun and temps made standing outside very enjoyable for all of us. 



Nana and MomSpoon helped with a post-play snack.


A storm blew in on the mountain and we changed plans to have the kiddos ski after lunch rather than before.  Poor Ian sat down to watch a movie after playing outside and never recovered.  He battled a high fever all weekend and upon returning home was diagnosed with hand, foot, and mouth disease.  Our house made it through the incubation period unscathed but sadly baby Luke has come down with it too.

After lunch we got Ben together to ski and with Nana and I on our feet and Ryan and Papa on their skis, we set our monkey free on the slopes-ha!

Thanks to cousin Ian we didn't have to rent a helmet though his noggin' is lots larger than Ben's.



There's a longer video with a mama cameo here.:)


Three generations of Heimer men on the slopes.

Skiing with Grandpa
 
After needing to be held up on his inaugural ski adventure last year, he took to the skis with ease this year, frequently catching himself and uncrossing his skis without falling.  I wasn't sure if I delighted more in seeing Ben doing so well and having so much fun or in seeing Ryan's face light up at observing the same. 

 On Saturday night we celebrated Christy's birthday which was that day as well as Grandpa Jim's which was the next week.




We spent Sunday at the Grand Lodge at Peak 7 where MeeMee has her timeshare so we get day use privileges.  Only Nana and Papa joined us as Ian was still sick and by the time we returned to the Spoon house, we were the last men standing.  We had planned to stay until Monday to avoid the Sunday evening ski traffic and nonstop service straight home made that plan quite worthwhile.

This view from the Spoons' upstairs sitting room never got old

Pools, hot-tubs, and bloody's while watching the skiers was perfect for me though the Spring conditions were tempting.
 




We took a similar pic a couple years ago and he still won't be still! All the teams everyone loved went down that day. :(


We had a delightful weekend and are so thankful to everyone for making it possible.  We felt so badly that Ian wasn't well and hope the whole Spoon clan feels like themselves soon!

bye-bye Breck-until July!!

3 comments:

  1. seriously - this might make me snowboard again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are we going in July? ;) I love the mama cameo video and Ben is a better skier than I will ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben is a natural! I heart the family ski photos and of course the mama cameo. I vote for more videos with you in them, mmmmkay?!

    ReplyDelete