Wednesday, March 19, 2014

craigslist to the rescue (and Moms are ALWAYS right)

Last Sunday during one of our delightfully warm Spring days, Ryan's mom mentioned to him that Ben needed a larger outdoor playset than the plastic Little Tykes hand-me-down he had really enjoyed the last year.
I giggled because I'd been telling Ryan this for a couple of months.  While we do have plans to expand some day, we will have our "big" yard for another 5 years at least and that's plenty of time for Ben to enjoy a larger swing set.  I'd been looking on Craigslist occasionally and showing things to Ryan that mostly fell on deaf ears.  There is something magical though, about a mother's advice, and suddenly Ryan was more on board than he had been. 

I found a set as we sat around talking and wrote the owner to inquire.  After discovering I was second in line, I knew I'd never have a chance at the custom Trex playset with all the goodies for less than $200.  Many similar used sets on Craigslist were selling for between $400 and $600 and any selling for less were plastic or needed LOTS of work. 

Well, Monday came and I thought I'd check the listings again in a few days when the owner emailed to say he couldn't reach the first party and could we come look that afternoon? He had a long list of interested parties and was going to move through it quickly.
He lived near MeeMee in Arvada so I headed to the bank and Ben and I headed to the burbs to beat rush hour and go claim our prize.  MeeMee joined us for safety and and was hushing me as I gushed about the good deal while putting Ben into the car.  I believe her words were, "Shhhhhh! Yes, it's a great deal. You're stealing that thing!"

With rain forecast for lots of Saturday, I convinced Ryan to take off early Friday and dis-assemble so Saturday would only require a quick morning move.  Thanks to help from Nana and Papa with watching Ben and on the front construction lines, and no precipitation from Mother Nature, by 4 pm Saturday, the play set was ready to use.  Though the moisture had held off, it was brutally cold and windy so the real playing didn't happen until Sunday.


Those men made quick work of this beast!
Luke knew something was exciting!

The inaugural swing.




The previous owner had a sandbox under here but we might keep his table and water table here as he has another sandbox.





Ben has really enjoyed the new set and even begs to play each morning before school.  The truth is that this new toy was more a gift for me than Ben and it's location in perfect view from the deck and kitchen window will make it the gift of time and relaxation that keeps on giving.




3 comments:

  1. Yay! What a great find, and even better bargain. So happy to think of the years of use this will get. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Ang. I love that two girls already got 11 long years of fun and hope Ben will have that many more!

      Delete
  2. What a great buy and fantastic timing. Way to hunt, mama. :) It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete