Friday, January 3, 2014

protecting the magic


Well, in reflection of this year's holiday events, I feel like I didn't do enough to "protect the magic," for our little family.  I start preparing for the busy holiday season very early so that I can enjoy it all when the time comes.  I think this year may have been a perfect storm of last-minute events, a generous amount of time-off before the actual holiday for Ryan due to the placement of Christmas in the week, and several family sicknesses and events beyond anyone's control. So, I give some weight to those things and some weight to my inability to say "no" to gatherings  and to protect some certain time frames.
There is a bit of a catch-22 involved because being prepared and organized ahead of time allowed us to say "yes," to some of those last-minute gatherings but it also created an often tired pre-schooler and fitting LOTS into windows that were otherwise reserved for some always necessary holiday tasks. 
Mostly I wanted to make note because it weighed heavily on me in the days around and after the holidays and I would always rather do less and be "present" than pack in lots of hectic chaos. Christmas is one of my favorite holidays and I want it to be nothing short of magical for Ben as he grows.  Next year I will strive harder to "protect the magic" for our little threesome while working hard to retain the important traditions for all our families.








*These pics are from this year's holiday card that I didn't get in digital format this year.  Tante was kind enough to take them for us one November day and though we waited and waited for snow for the pics, it just didn't come.  Huge thanks to her for taking them and for her flexibility in scheduling them.


3 comments:

  1. Well said. I know you felt the chaos this year, though I am certain your 3 year-old felt all the magic that you wish for him because you are you and that is what you create, not only at Christmastime, but in your everyday lives. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - These photos are ah-mah-zing. Great styling - great smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your family so much, and these pictures capture you all so well. :) Your boots are killer, btw.

    ReplyDelete