Monday, January 6, 2014

bigger boy bed


Ryan and I had planned for many months before Christmas to give Ben his new big-boy bed as a gift from us.  Thanks to poor weather and some last minute work travel, I convinced Ryan to slow down and finish the bed correctly and that we'd skip giving it to Ben for Christmas.  It was a great idea that allowed us to do some other fun things over the holidays and allowed plenty of time for the painting process.
I will discuss the how and why of choosing to design and build the bed ourselves in another post when the trundle is done and the last of the bedding has arrived.
Huge thanks to Nana and Papa for their help with painting and for letting us take over their garage for many many days!!
I was able to convince Ryan to wait until after Christmas but when the last coat of paint was dry, there was no holding back this Dad from delivering this special gift.  We spent all day Sunday driving ALL AROUND TOWN in the snow getting the bedding, mattress, and more bedding components to allow Ben to start enjoying his new bed.  While I had hoped for a more HGTV style reveal much earlier in the day with an updated gallery wall and perfectly pressed bedding, we pulled everything together just hour(s) before bedtime and thankfully Ben had no problem sleeping in his new bed.  He only mentioned the old bed once and quickly agreed that, "Yeah, the new bed that Daddy made is so cute."

Click here to see Ben checking out the bed for the first time.

and some pics from the first days enjoying it...................

A PB kids bedding sale meant a trip to the "mall with the fire," and some Dairy Queen. :) 

 
How I felt on this day. I think we covered every inch of Denver.



No idea why there's a mattress in the living room but he'll take it! 


 
"and Daddy made it!"

Thanks to year-end mattress sales and January white sales, this kid got one comfy bed.  Mom and Dad are jealous!


A little more detail

He loves to read to Jelly in his new bed.


And some days that reading leads to a nap in the sunshine. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Well done you two - the bed looks oh so modern boy and sooo cozy all at once. Cadyn (the princess of cozy) would be jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one amazing big boy bed!! :)

    ReplyDelete