Tuesday, October 1, 2013

surviving heart break

On Sunday afternoon we headed to MeeMee's to hang out, help with some decor decisions and for Ben to watch LAZY TOWN!!!, as MeeMee has cable and the Sprout network.  We had a lovely day and an amazing dinner of stuffed pork chops and as soon as I hit the driveway coming home, all the goodness of the day crashed down around me.  I had forgotten Jelly!  It was the first time Ben might have to face a night without him.  Ben was asleep in the back seat and I knew Ryan would be home from work any minute so I waited for a spousal consult on this extreme matter.  Ben was already in his jammies but unfortunately woke as I brought him inside.  He thankfully quickly snuggled on the couch and was again asleep in minutes.  During his awake time Ryan and I had prepped him that Jelly was going to spend the night at MeeMee's and that she really needed a friend to cuddle tonight and that it was SOOOOO nice of him to let MeeMee borrow him.  He unfortunately awoke again while being carried upstairs.  (May I just interject here that my kid is huge!! Not only do his nearly 38 lbs give you a run for your money, you can't just carry him in a reclined position through the house anymore with out banging his head or feet.  This sleeping carry is now very delicate and must be strategically planned and carried outsideways-oy!)
So, Ryan tucked him and there he lay in his drowsy stupor calling out for his best friend in writhing agony.  And there I was steps away in the kitchen, fighting back tears feeling like the worst mom that ever lived.  To be honest, this calling out lasted less than a minute and he was passed out cold for the night within two.  Boy oh boy were those 2 minutes painful! It was a good reminder to do a Jelly double-check when leaving places.  We of course discussed having a back up but how do you fake 3 years of life, love and those wonderful smells (blech!) Jelly has that Ben loves so much?  Thankfully Jelly only leaves the confines of our house or car to go into homes of family or friends and that rule won't change.  If I stay on my mama toes, this should be a night we don't relive for a while-thank goodness!!

reunited and it feels so good

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Ben's love for Jelly is so touching. I am glad that you survived and did not have to make the trek back to MeeMee's in the middle of the night.

    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Spousal consult' had me giggling. :) Glad it all workout out for the best. I am still waiting for Teegs to latch on to a stuffie or blankie, but no ties yet.

    ReplyDelete