Tuesday, October 29, 2013

engage-a-versary

 Saturday night randomly happened to be the 7th anniversary of our engagement.  I had been planning for a couple months to pull Ryan aside at the kangaroo exhibit on Friday night to acknowledge the special day that had happened down under 7 long years before.  With the time zones, I actually think Friday would have been more appropriate, but Amy reminded me of our wine-tasting plans for Saturday night and I opted for the actual date.  I had Whole Foods write on a chocolate decadence cake and had the wine guy bring it our to Ryan about half way through our tasting.


It did take him a couple (long) minutes to figure it out, and he said it scared him as he racked his brain trying to figure out what he'd forgotten.  




In the end, it was a simple gesture that meant a lot and really took him off guard.  I think the busier life gets, the easier it is to forget the magical and meaningful moments.  Taking time to reflect can have an amazing power of reconnection and I hope I'll be successful in taking time for reflection more and more as life gets more and more crazy. :)

Freshwater and sand-bottomed Lake McKenzie is one of the natural world's mysteries.

That's a happy girl! She got the ring and the guy!

Our safari cohorts were thankful for the extra champagne broken open by the generous guides.

4 comments:

  1. Taking time for reflection - so true about it making all the difference. Thanks for the reminder. I am loving all of the flashback photos. What a gorgeous place to get engaged! PS - Why are you towering over every single other person on that beach?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's the angle of the photog and the fact that I'm closer. Also there were a lot of short British blokes.

      Delete
  2. Awww... I LOVE this!! So sweet.. that's a pretty awesome engagement story! I agree with T - such a great reminder to celebrate the little things that we tend to forget about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most importantly she got the guy! But holy crap she freaked out about that ring.

    ReplyDelete