Tuesday, August 6, 2013

MONTANA or bust!

On Thursday July 18th, Ben and I loaded the car after a crazy couple of days (see scary school post,) and headed for Big Sky Country.  I do really enjoy a road trip and thanks to lots of trips back and forth to KS when he was young, Ben is a great car traveler.  Well, thanks to that and Steve Jobs and the iPad. :) The first day our goal was to make it to Sheridan, Wy and we did that with relative ease and were enjoying the hotel pool by 4:30pm.  A more than decent restaurant within our hotel meant we could take dinner up to the room post-swimming for a little mock room-service fun. This was the first time Ben was allowed to eat on a bed and with the TV on as well, he was in heaven.  He refused to sit up and eat saying, "bed, go sleeping," so he laid back and got his grilled cheese on, in ultimate comfort. :)


The last two hours of the next days' travels were tough.  We both REALLY wanted to be out of the car.  We arrived at Papa Ken's just in time for his arrival with my favorite Chinese take-out.  Ben had a great time re-introducing himself to pups, Billy and Boomer (boom-boom,) and exploring Papa's house. 

the flowers at Southgate Mall where I used to work have always been amazing

On one gorgeous run we encountered sheep....
roosters (and chickens).....

....and even some playground time at the end.
(whose long legs are those? :)






This local school playground was the perfect end to many evenings.


Over the next week we ran errands with Papa, gave-in and bought a kiddie pool for the backyard, spent time with dear friends and even spent a couple days at Flathead Lake and exploring Bigfork and Whitefish.........

We got to join a friend I met in college while working at Gap kids and her two daughters, Finley and Neah, for a morning at the river.  It was on her mom's property where I had watched her get married years ago, so it was really fun to go back.  Ben had way too much fun playing in the mud and swimming.  I daydreamed about a life for him under the big sky exploring his days away in the great outdoors. :)
Ben had lots of sand in his shorts by this point.

This is why.....




Aunt B had recently moved to Missoula so seeing her was an unexpected treat.  She joined us one evening for dinner with Uncle Carl, Julie and Eric and his family.  Ben had tons of fun on the trampoline with Eric's daughter, Jaycee until my mama heart couldn't take the stress of him on an elevated and unprotected trampoline any longer. 

The last couple days of the trip, we headed with Papa and the pups up north to the lake.  In hindsight, we should have packed lunches and just parked ourselves by the lake all day both days as both Ben and the pups were happiest there.  The crystal clear and unseasonably warm water were fantastic in both Flathead and Whitefish lakes.  Ben would really have been happy to never leave!  It reminded me of the lakes and streams we have near home that might not be quite as majestic or unspoiled, but that are there to be enjoyed.  We had some great food and spent some time exploring the towns and enjoying the hotel pools.  Ben was a trooper as he was outdoors and busy from sun-up till sun-down, and meals were often delayed.  He (mostly) hung in there with me through lots of changes to his schedule and routine and I thanked him repeatedly for his cooperation.

We took Ryan to this same restaurant years ago and sat at the same table.

 
On this day he didn't stay awake for the lake but stole mama's heart.

 We visited Whitefish ski area
 


Ben approved of the MT rocks


After a couple days at the lake and one night back at Papa's, it was time to head home.  We left Missoula about 730am and only planned on making it to Buffalo, Wy.  Well, my little traveler did remarkably well and we hit Buffalo so early and in the rain that I decided to keep going.  Unfortunately the rain never let up and got really bad when we hit Denver in the dark, but I wasn't tired, and had a willing travel partner, so we ventured ALL THE WAY HOME! We arrived just after 9pm.  I had even asked Ben if he wanted to stop and swim and all he wanted was to, "go homeeeeeeee and see Dada!"

Sadly, "going home" was a theme all trip long.  Ben has traveled so much and has always been so good at it, but this trip included lots of requests to "go home to Ben's home." One sure reason was that he had pulled his stackers out of his toy bag at the last minute and left them behind. I had checked and double-checked and triple-checked and sure enough at our first stop, they were no where to be found.  We tried some others that just didn't suffice and there is certainly not an Ikea in Montana.  We are happy he enjoys home so much except that the old, "if you don't shape up, we're going home, never works with Ben." In the end I know he had tons of fun and was always happy to return to "Papa's home" after our outings, but we will keep up the travel so my little home-body doesn't get too attached.


Big thanks to everyone who made our trip so great!! The fresh air and big open sky were beautiful reminders of the majesty of nature we so often take for granted living in the mountain west.


*note: Due to a whole new level of single-moming it, and frequently being near water with my little fish, I took sadly few pics on this trip.  I was thankful for the phone pics as the few standard camera pics I took were blurry. :(  I definitely gained a new appreciation for all the help I get from Ryan and the people who are regularly in Ben's life.  I also know taking pics when it's just Ben and I will get easier quickly and some day I'll wish for this time when I struggled to keep him in my sights. :) I will??

2 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh...

    1) So THAT is what you meant on my beach post about it getting much worse. Holy sand!
    2) I was praying the rock eating stage was coming to a close. Clearly not.
    3) How beautiful are those lakes?!
    4) How sweet is Ben to want to go home to Dada?! Melt.
    5) You are a much braver traveler than I. Not sure I would attempt even two hours on my own at this point.
    6) Note to self: stacker cups are the boy bomb.

    Glad it was such a great mini-vaca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that one of him laying down eating breakfast in bed! So cute. :) Sounds like it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete