Dear Ben,
A couple of weeks ago, while you were having THE BEST time making a snowman with your Dad, I went and took some maternity pictures for a college friend of mine. I felt like a bad Mom all day because as soon as I got back home to you, I transferred the pictures to the computer and was overwhelmed with a feeling of failure. This feeling and trying to right the situation consumed me for a large part of the rest of the day.
It was a bright snowy and sunny day and my friend wore a white sweater and I failed to adjust the camera correctly so all the pictures were WAY overexposed. I also made some mistakes and "forgot my fundamentals" (that'll be a whole other Dear Ben) with some of the inside pictures. It had been a really long time since I'd failed so completely at something and I knew these pictures meant a lot to this beautiful couple.
It was really hard to admit to my mistakes and ask for a second try. I had to swallow my pride and ask my friends for a second chance. It was a really tough thing and a horrible feeling but as soon as I admitted my mistake I started to feel better. My friends were very gracious and welcomed me back for a second try that you got to accompany me on.
In the week between shoots, I read a lot and practiced a lot and tried to focus on and remember the fundamental things I had learned.
In the beautiful long life you have ahead of you, you will make LOTS of mistakes (even when you are 33.) The faster you admit to them, learn from them and try again for success, the happier life will be. The only way to get better at anything we endeavor is to try, sometimes fail, and try again. Victory, success, and contentment are only better when we are forced to really try to attain them.
Finally, my dear son, when you are playing 4th grade basketball and your team-mates bring out the John Wooden quotes, you just take them these and tell them Wooden had nothing on your Mama!
(come on people, it is March!)
The lesson learned.............
The Bad
these still break my heart as these two were such beautiful subjects
The Good
:)
I LOVE this one. Totally un-edited it really displays what this lens is capable of and the focus and textures delighted me.
and The Beautiful
Huge thanks to Willow and Adam for allowing me to practice and for the second chance. These two are so gorgeous and their love so natural and apparent that taking their pictures should be easy. It was certainly a joy. They are expecting a little girl in the next couple of weeks. :)





Such a good message and such sweet photos! The one you love is also a favorite of mine, as well as the outdoor ones. Great job capturing such precious moments. :)
ReplyDeleteYou are rockin' that camera!! What lens did you use? Bravo!
ReplyDeleteThanks Marta! That means a lot coming from you. It's a 35 mm 1.8 fixed. I also have a 50 that I love, this one is just a little more flexible.
DeleteLOVE the pics.. gorg!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the pictures and the message! You are amazing!
ReplyDelete-Jill