Well the Holidays were certainly more enjoyable this year having a home to come home to after each gathering and getting quality time with everyone rather than trying to do everything in a couple of days and moving from place to place.
The big fun started on Sunday the 23rd when we gathered at Papa and Nana's to celebrate with Ryan's sister Christy and her family. We enjoyed a delicious early evening dinner and moved on to exchanging gifts. It was quite chaotic with the two boys this year as they loved playing with all of their gifts but we also had to be careful of the time with little kiddo bed times and a long drive for Christy and family. The adult gift opening became very hurried and chaotic so I hope we can brainstorm a more peaceful process for next year as I really enjoy seeing what everyone gets. Additionally, gifts were given to couples or families who had no idea what was being opened. The chaos didn't dampen any spirits and we all loved watching Ian and Ben play with their vacuums and ball hoop that will live at Papa and Nana's. Ben absolutely adores his cousin Ian and every moment spent with him!
The boys rushed to see what was in Nana's bag.
Matching Dyson's :)
A friendly game of cousin chicken!
I worked hard to make sure the 24th could be a relaxing day for our little threesome and it was! With Ryan's Awesome Dad help on Sunday morning, I had been able to get the house cleaned and ready for our Christmas Day celebrations. Before that though, we headed back to Nana and Papa's on Christmas Eve for merriment and relaxing with Ryan's cousin Christopher and Great-Grandma Lola. Ben is really warming up to Lola and her walker (that once scared him) and made himself at home next to her more than once without suggestion from anyone else. Those moments really warmed my heart!!
said relaxing taking place :)
I just dare ya not to smile at these............
Ben opening his Christmas Eve book and jammies.
By 7pm on Christmas Eve, the snow that has yet to melt was just starting to fall. We headed home shortly after 8 and Tante joined us a bit later. We hurried to bed after watching The Family Stone and anxiously awaited Santa's visit. We all slept late (for Christmas) until 630 am when I was the first to stir. As I peeked in the stockings at what Santa had left, I noticed lights outside and some crazy woman waving. I knew the neighbor was expecting her family and as my understanding was that I would call my Mom and aunt Betsey when we were all awake, I thought it must be neighbor Kelly's sister waving. Well, I had not been privy to the conversation the night before when Tante had told our final guests to arrive no later than 630am. It didn't take long for the rest of the house to awaken and we led Ben downstairs to see the gorgeous red kitchen that Santa had left him. Santa had also installed a clock, magnet marker board and holder for lots of new magnets. Ben seemed quite overwhelmed-both by the early morning company and the new basement configuration.
We opened gifts for quite some time and then enjoyed a delicious breakfast. Though Ryan and I only gave Ben one gift and Santa only left his kitchen and stocking, there were just too many fun new things for him to read and play with. We saved a few gifts for later in the day and the next day and hope the gift opening process might get easier in the coming years. It just felt strange to be begging him to open yet another gift when all he wanted to do was play with the ones he had already opened. I do hope I remember that feeling for a long time and we continue to focus on other reasons for the season and on giving to those less fortunate as we are clearly very blessed.
After nap we headed to MeeMee's for a delicious prime rib dinner and some riveting family Rack-O playing.
We did not get the requisite family jammie pic this year so these are what you get :)
Aunt B and MeeMee made the adults matching Chef's hats.
A truck and iPad music keyboard from Papa Ken.
The gifts from Ben sequence:
Life-size legos and a nearly full-size tent from MeeMee for our Tiny Tudor :)
breakfast under our Christmas chandelier
big hugs for Tante
I finally got year 1 and 2 ornaments loaded as they were packed away last year.
Ben is now addicted to Elf and it has therefore been packed away until next year.
gorgeous Christmas dinner spread!
SO excited for his parachute from the TS family!
"more!"
"hey you! Only I knock over the tower!"
(in his cute H&M duds from Papa Ken)
Whew!
The day after Christmas sent us to Ikea to cash in a very generous gift card from my Dad so that Ryan could assemble with his time off. Ryan headed to work on the 27th and enjoyed skiing with a great old ski-buddy on Friday. On Saturday we had said ski-buddy and his family over for lunch and to see our new house. They have just purchased a similarly aged home outside of Charlotte, NC and it was fun to compare and chat with them about the many charms of an old house.
On Sunday Ryan reconfigured our master bedroom closet and spent some time on work-work while Tante and Aunt "B!," as Ben calls her, joined us for lunch.
Later that afternoon, my friends Laura and Michael stopped by with their pups. The main reason for the visit was Michael's dog, Rosie, being in town. Rosie joined our college family when Anna was a year old and they lived together for a couple of years. As we suspected, they were much less excited than we were, but at 12 and 13 we sadly know it was likely their last meeting.
Sweet Rosie
Overall, it was a good blend of house projects, family activities and togetherness, and relaxing. By New Year's Eve though, I think I was longing for some routine. As a pretty task-oriented person, I did my best to chat with Ryan each morning about his/our plans for the day and what he hoped to accomplish. I think I was much more focused on many days on helping him accomplish all of those things while he was in a kind-of "whatever"-relaxation mode. I realized that as time went by some days that what I saw as failure was just how he wanted to spend his time. It was pretty interesting and we talked about how to clarify our expectations next time. :)
As I'm certain that's enough for one post, the next day was New Year's Eve and I'll let those festivities have their own spotlight......................
There is not a picture that can do this giant tree in our neighborhood justice. Believe me, it is awe-inspiring!
*Note-I have now tried for hours to get videos of the kitchen reveal and the parachute opening to load to You Tube from two different internet browsers. I am admitting defeat and I apologize :(













Wow, SO many holiday happenings. :) I will try to refrain from commenting on every single thing and will just say I am glad many of the gatherings happened in your own home this year. Also, glad to hear the choas and miscommunication happens in other families too. ;) And if I don't hear from you for a few days, I will know you got swallowed up by all of those amazing (and huge) gifts received!
ReplyDeletei apologize for the painfully lengthy post :)
Delete