Saturday, December 11, 2010

Colorful Colorado

Ryan and I got word a few weeks ago that he'd be heading to Paris for a week for work.  We also knew he'd have to fly directly back to Denver to defend his Masters Thesis in Fort Collins in the days following.  So....(lightbulb), why wouldn't I head home for a few days and we could drive back to Wichita together???


Sunday after Thanksgiving Ben and I drove back with Tante Mollusk to Denver.  We stayed with my Mom (Ben's Mee Mee) for ten days as his Nana Pat (Ryan's Mom) was traveling for work.  We tried to keep our social obligations light as they've made us crazy in the past and that was without a baby!


We had fun seeing friends, painting ceramics, strolling through Olde Town Arvada and Cherry Creek to Christmas shop, visiting Great Grandma Heimer, and enjoying Ben's first visits to some special places.
Ben went to Hapa sushi restaurant where mom and dad had their first date, had breakfast at hipster haunt Steuben's, and stood in line with Mee Mee for KBCO Studio C Volume 22.  It's crazy to think Ben may one day be listening to Studio C Volume's in the 40's.  By then they'll surely handout online redemption codes for downloads instead of actual CD's.
 Tante Mollusk is pretty proud of this shirt

 Cold Toes

Cute Toes

Steubens

Bundled for Studio C

Studio C with Mee Mee

A visit with Grace and Sara


Ryan flew in Sunday after long delays in Paris and Chicago and headed to Fort Collins Monday to begin his Master's Defense.  By Tuesday afternoon he had passed with flying colors.  An accomplishment ten years in the making (six of which I've been a part of) led me to weep upon completion.  I'm so proud of Ryan's perseverance, the things his accomplishment will do for our family, and of the example a higher degree will set for Ben.  


On Wednesday the 8th we made the bittersweet trip home as a family.  I learned a lot on this trip......
*A reminder that KBCO streams online so I can still listen to Brett and Ginger each day :)
*That it's ok not to see everyone everytime-(it makes everything more enjoyable for everyone)
*That Ben will form bonds with the people important to us even if we stay in Wichita a few more years
*I really missed our friends in Wichita and day-to-day activities that are what life's all about (it will be hard to move home whenever we do.)


Trying on Hats at Cherry Creek
"Anyone need a ride?"

The Sweet in the bittersweet of our trip home was coming back to Riley Thomas Johnson, the beautiful son of Chrystal and TJ.  He was born on Sunday December 5th weighing 9lbs 6oz with more beautiful dark hair than I've ever seen on a baby.  He is the spitting image of his Dad-I'd say he's off to a great start!!  Welcome to the world Riley-we're so glad you could join us!!!



2 comments: