Poor Ben has been fighting a mystery illness that we are thinking must be related to his humidifier. He got sick (only once) one night last week and was fine all weekend in Breck. He got sick again Sunday night but was quickly fine in the morning and spent Monday night with Nana and Papa so Ryan and I could attend a meeting at his school Monday.
We thought we had the problem identified and solved but he was clearly not feeling well again Wednesday afternoon and fell asleep on the couch right after school. He had no fever and no other symptoms so I chalked it up to a less than stellar night's sleep. Wednesday night also happened to be his Spring music performance at school. Not only had he practiced hard at school, but we had prepped him lots at home for how the evening would look and what the expectations were. He had been singing snippets of songs for weeks and music with Ms. East was BY FAR his favorite part of school.
When Ryan rolled in, I was still struggling to get Ben off the couch and dressed. I was already ready to throw in the towel. We got him mostly happy to head out the door, but any confidence ended when we entered his classroom and large families of both his session and the morning session filled his already small classroom. We finally left him in tears and let the para know we'd be standing by if the tears didn't end. We took our seats and waited anxiously and I tried many times to pry off Ryan's death grip on my arm and run to save my baby. Boy, oh boy, did Ryan hear "thank-you," and "you were right," non-stop for the next several days. Ben ROCKED it!! He sang his 3 songs and sat patiently while the other classes sang theirs. In these videos he is just to the right of the big red circle on the top row. I sat watching with tears of joy as this performance with so many distractions for Ben would have been a miracle in it's own right, but adding the sickness made it all the more amazing.
The promise of post-performance cupcakes had been motivating Ben for weeks so when I saw the promised "treat" was instead cookies, I knew we'd have to take matters into our own hands.
We took him to Whole Foods and let him choose any dessert he wanted. The choice was easy as there in the case was a star for our star.
So, so proud of you Buddy!! You are a rockstar in our hearts everyday, but we're so excited for how you showed your star to the world tonight!




Nugget!!!! So proud of you!! I watched the videos and cheered out loud! Love you!
ReplyDeleteThis was SO CUTE and so neat you shared the process! I think Brigham is going to be similar to Ben- not a fan of big crowds/new thing, etc. I'm so glad Ryan encouraged you to wait and see- Ben did so well!
ReplyDelete