Thursday, January 7, 2016

getting to be time

Today Ben mentioned, out of the blue, ........

"Mom, I think it's getting to be time for Grayson's birthday party when we go ice skating."

Whoa! Well...

"You're right bud.   Grayson's birthday is next month, but I'm not sure he'll have another skating party, or if we'll be invited. Ok?"

"okay."


Some of the details this kid remembers about activities and when they happened are so shocking.  He is sadly and scarily becoming a super-planner.  I know all  most kids thrive with a plan and routine, but asking about next weeks menu when I've just planned this one, makes even me roll my eyes.  

His sense of direction and spatial planning are mind-boggling.  I remember him being keenly aware of the direction of familiar places when we were at new places as early as age 3, but last week we were driving from one place to another that we'd never gone directly from and to.  We turned to drop Papa Jim off at home and Ben instantly knew we were off course.

I hope this sense will serve him well when he's out in the woods on his epic exploration adventures that I just know are coming.

3 comments:

  1. I envy that sense of direction! Ha, who would think that your own kid would out-plan you?! I wonder if I'll experience that some day as Brigham gets bothered by certain things out of place + EVEN I tell him to let it go. :) :) Oh what these boys are picking up from us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love this!! His hidden talents will serve him well in life, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did any of us think that super-planner Ben was not inevitable with you as his mother? Um, no. ;)

    ReplyDelete