Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Springing forward

Well, Winter finally came to Colorado, just for the start of Spring......

 

 As I tired of seeing only white outside my window,  I went out in search of some green to grow INSIDE.  I'd had this finished pallet box Ryan built sitting in the basement and although we really plan to sell them via an Etsy shop, I couldn't resist putting it to use.

 Ben and I took a Spring idea and refresh trip to Ikea and found some planters that fit perfectly.

After a visit to the local nursery and some bonus bucks from my purchases last Spring, I successfully brought some color inside.....
the turquoise planters are also from Ikea.


I am lucky that my closest grocery store continues to buy more flowers than it can sell and have frequent steals on less than fresh blooms.  All these tiny roses and greenery were $6.


Just before St. Patrick's Day, I was inspired to integrate a little lucky green decor for the first time.  It's always seemed hectic to me to decorate all over between Valentine's day and Spring/Easter, but a friend who usually does, made me think I could do the same.

I already had the green on my mantel, so this free printable was just the ticket.

I saw something similar to this from Parents magazine while scrolling Facebook and it occured to me I could knock it out with stuff I already had.  I made my pot larger than theirs and got lucky finding the gold and red glitter paper in my scraps.  I explained to Ben that he might get lucky and a leprechaun might leave a little treat on the night before St. Patty's Day.



Ben awoke to a new copy of an old favorite, The Grouchy Ladybug and a Peanuts Easter book in his pot o' gold.


A few fun updates and activities made our cold and white start to Spring so much more bearable.  We are so blessed to have pretty amazing weather here in D-town, and just as I was complaining about not seeing the sidewalk for a day or two, I noticed people in my Instagram feed posting pics of the first pavement they'd seen since before Christmas.  I'll try to bear that in mind as we get our next few Spring snows and keep my complaining hat tucked away with my gloves.

3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna need about 15 of these pallet boxes. Your green is so cute! Love the printout and love the pot of gold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me in as a pallet box customer, too! You are killing me with the cute, simple, and cheap Ikea purchases, as they only sell the big stuff online. :( Love all the decor together, as usual - you have a great eye for bringing everything together. And let's raise a green beer to hoping my St. Pat's inspiration to you will re-inspire me for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto - where's that Etsy shop link?! :) Love the flowers + color you brought inside!

    ReplyDelete