Ben's class focused on gratitude and on giving and had a canned soup drive. I took the opportunity to talk to Ben a lot about people in our community who are hungry and less fortunate. In one conversation he said, "their bellies must hurt if they are soooooo hungry." I was happy he was really considering and thinking about what we were talking about.
Although I think he's placed some coins in the bucket in years past, Ben really took notice of the Salvation Army bell ringer outside the grocery store this week. As I rarely take him grocery shopping with me, I quickly parallel-parked the car cart and emptied my wallet. Ben seemed to know what to do and was beaming as the bell ringer took down the bucket for Ben to access. Ben was very proud of having done something that must have seemed very "adult" to him and we took the opportunity to talk more about what it meant. Ben replied emphatically, "now their bellies won't be hungry!"
"Yes, my prince, Exactly!"
To this kid for whom food is everything, I think this lesson hit home more than it might with clothes and toys at Christmas, but I'm already excited to share that giving with him.
***
Ben has all of Thanksgiving week off school and we had a great time prepping for the big day and having more relaxed mornings.
We took advantage of warm weather this year and got our outdoor decor done early. This gorgeous boxwood wreath from Trader Joe's was the finishing touch.
Aunt Mae's wild rice casserole kept me busy the day before we gave thanks.
As always, there was lots to be thankful for this year and our day of giving thanks began with the 18th Annual Pigskin Classic. The weather was great this year and Ben really understood that his turn for playing football came at half-time and at the end. Also, the older the dad's get, the shorter the halves are. ;) Like last year, we spent lots of time at the nearby playground while many friends and familiar faces stopped by to slide or play for a bit. This year was the first with no major injuries and we headed home to shower and pick up food at about 11 am.
Auntie Amy arrived with a vanilla steamer at just the right time. :)
I've taken pics of Ben and Hailey (the only kiddo his age I know who towers over him,) on this swing for two years now and will probably ask them to take a similar pic
when they're 16.
MeeMee headed to Myrtle Beach with her mom and sis this year and Tante cooked for herself, so there was no juggling for us and only one turkey to devour. We arrived at the Original Heimer Haus a bit after the Witherspoons and Ben quickly grabbed cousin Ian's hand and drug him off to play. Although their interests vary a bit, they had a great time playing together, especially in the teepee Nana built and sewed for them. Ian is great for Ben because he responds to him regularly and also is a bit more insistent than some of Ben's other playmates that Ben respond to his questions.
We enjoyed a delightful day chatting and prepping and ate around 4pm. The feast was fabulous and as always, my tummy lacked room for all I wanted.
Lola's secret to longevity;)
the "after"
While the kitchen table was already full, Ben was first to arrive in the dining room and knows that, "turkey waits for no one."
When Ben talks about playing with Ian, wrestling is always mentioned. ;)
Many hours playing outside followed by lots of people and cousin time without a break meant Ben's breakdown ensued just as I'd forecast to his Dad about an hour before. ;) He cried as we left about not wanting to leave Ian and many other things in a sure sign that it was time for this day of fun and thanks to end.
Big THANKS to all who made the day and the meal so great!! I'm especially thankful to live so close to so many I love so even when we're apart on "the big day," I know we'll be together soon.




I am enjoying Ben's deep thinking. It all just gets more fun and meaningful each year with their maturing minds. Glad your Thanksgiving was packed full of fun and food!
ReplyDeleteOh that giving talk. It just melts me. So grateful for you and your family! Glad you guys had a good time, even apart from your normal traditions.
ReplyDeleteWrestling cousins!! Such fun! Thanksgiving just doesn't feel like it can be that long ago!! :( we love the blind side! What a perfect movie for that holiday!!
ReplyDelete