Wednesday, June 19, 2013

aha!

Don't fret, Dear Readers, I have lots of posts to catch up on as soon as we get Pratt on the market this weekend.  Posts about Father's Day and first MLB games and skateboarding-ahhh! 

But, I'm pausing amid the madness because I just had an amazing aha parenting moment.  It may seem trivial or small to parents of other kiddos but for Ben and me the victory was huge.  We just finished dinner and I gave him some choices of things to play with while I tidied the kitchen.  He asked to go outside and I told him if he cleaned up his animals, he could go outside.  Now, normally this task would take 10-15 minutes with lots of distractions and moments of help and re-direction from Mom.  
Holy WOW! was I floored when I looked over and he had found the bucket the animals belong in and was quickly putting them away.  He did it all in less than 2 minutes, picked up the bucket and set it on the entry bench, said, "all done!" with enthusiasm and clapped for himself.  And then I cried.... small hidden tears of joy but boy did I let my little man know how proud I was.  
I knew this day would come sooner than later but after a day lots of struggles and crankiness it can be hard to see the light at the end of the 2-3 year old tunnel.
I see the light and it shines bright!! I'm most excited because as more of these helpful milestones occur, there's just more time for FUN!!

2 comments:

  1. Hip Hip HOORAY!!!! Way to go, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those small moments are the BEST! Plus, I love that they usually mark the start of change and moving on to new challenges and subsequent small breakthroughs. :)

    ReplyDelete