Monday, November 12, 2012

parent-teacher conferences

Last Wednesday we had Ben's parent-teacher conferences at his preschool.  Yes, he's 2 and has conferences, but it was actually really great!  In addition to lots of great news and plans, I feel really secure in the money we are spending to send him to this school because it is a sacrifice for us.
Well, Ben's teachers love him, but who doesn't? 

While he holds a special place in Danae's heart, it could be from all the "quality" time they spend attempting to get Ben to sit for story-time or other group projects. The teachers were surprised to hear he sits for long periods of book reading at home but I explained that he loves the school environment and all the toys and knows his time there is limited-he probably wants to soak it all in-and he's a 2 yr old boy!  Out takeaway from the sitting issue is to keep attempting library story-time with small goals for sitting that extend slowly.  I need to break down our library's FUNKY hours and figure out a time.

Ben's teachers were thrilled to hear he has started speech therapy and were eager to help in any way they can.  They invited his therapist to class and want to know what we are working on each week so they can help him too.  I was thrilled and explained that this was going above and beyond a bit but they were insistent that this is their job.

We discussed next year a bit and of course they think Ben would benefit from 3 mornings a week as I do, and we also discussed something important I hadn't considered.  We already know Ben will start kindergarten when he's 6 (or almost 6) because his birthday is so late.  His teachers mentioned that it's better to hold him back earlier than later so he should do two years in a 2 or 3 yr old classroom rather than doubling up when he's 4 or 5. It makes absolutely perfect sense, I just hadn't considered it.  I've gotta say that if Danae sticks around, our decision might just be made for us. :)

I'd been feeling like it had been awhile since I'd taken some dedicated, non-phone pics of Ben and I got a few that afternoon.................


:)





2 comments:

  1. Your son's baby blues always melt me. I'm so happy that you have a great teaching staff to support Ben's early education!

    ReplyDelete
  2. His teachers sound truly invested, which has got to mean the world to you. :) I am loving Ben's thick curls!

    ReplyDelete