No. No. We didn't move to the Upper East Side-just Denver. While finding a preschool for Ben has been keeping me up at night ever since we sold our Wichita house, I never dreamed just how trying this journey might be. At each location where we thought we might buy a house I would pinpoint a few preschools with hopes that that house would be "the one." During my research I did discover many schools that were full and many that were WAY out of reach financially. In each place however, I would find a couple that seemed great and affordable and would hope one would have room and would even sleep better for a couple of nights.
Now that we have our eyes, hopes and dreams on a home that has a higher likelihood of becoming ours than any before it, I started the search again with earnest as I realized that fall is right around the corner. I was able to eliminate many from my original list as they were already filling for the 2013/14 school year. A friend even quipped during conversation, "well, yeah, I knew I'd have to start looking at least a year in advance." Now she didn't know the panic she caused in my belly. Not that I would have ever known a year ago that we'd be back in Denver, much less exactly where we'd live.
So, yesterday at nap time, I called my "stand-by." The place I was sure would have room, that was walking distance from our hopeful house, and that is quite affordable. And I thought I was really calling to sign him up-ha!! At my "stand-by" we would have been #37 on the wait-list for 2 year olds!!! And this is not a day-care center. There is no "aging-out" of a classroom. 37 families would literally have to move away or quit the school for us to get in!!
The woman I spoke with at "the stand-by" was actually quite helpful and provided me with a list of nearby options. I made my way feverishly through the list and actually ended the day with a couple good options. We have one tour scheduled next week and are hoping for a couple more.
Overall though, I was shocked at how many schools were full and how many were appalled that I didn't want to add my name to wait-lists that might take many months or even years to work our way to the top of. Most of the schools give preference to current students and do lotteries for remaining spots in the late fall for the following year. So, if I had lived here and been prepared, last fall would have been nothing short of college application time in the Heimer House. I would have entered many many lotteries just hoping Ben got in somewhere. Really?? Preschool??


This sounds awful! I man, for PRESCHOOL?!? :-/
ReplyDeleteUh, this wait list talk is cra cra. Glad I have the living-in-another-country-don't-know-where-we-will-be-in-a-year excuse right now, so I don't have to worry about this. :/
ReplyDelete