Ben finally put his passport to use last Thursday when we headed north to visit the TS family in Calgary. The trip was wonderful but too short. Avid readers of this blog (of which Tisha herself is 30%), know Tisha and Cadyn from our life in Wichita. We walked together, and had play group, and even started to gather with our families with increasing frequency before Caleb's job moved their family to Calgary 9 months ago.
My heart was so warmed by Ben and Cadyn playing and interacting and I was thrilled about how much they were concerned with one another. I won't soon forget Cadyn's continual dialogue of, "where's Ben? Where's Jess?," even adding "Where's Benjamin?" as if Benjamin was a whole separate person.
looks like he'll make a good multi-tasking DaDa in 30 years :)
Cadyn did a great job "practicing," only she didn't know what for :)
Ben spent lots of time with THE FAN
There was lots of chase, and tickles, and enticement to "come get me."
trading places at the windows was a favorite game
awwww
when you play with the girls.....
supermodel in the making. there's a reason they shoot in warm locales :)
someone else got in some practice too :)
The weather was not the most friendly, but that just left more time for chatting and kiddo room design. We gathered ideas and DIY products for some finishing touches for the nursery that will be home to Baby Boy TS in July, and worked a bit on Cadyn's new big-girl room and her delightful book-nook.
In addition to delicious home-made lasagna, the TS's treated us me to my first Poutine (fries, and in this case, short ribs, covered in gravy and cheese), and a delicious meal at Caleb's fave, The Cattle Baron. We also went out for Tisha and Caleb's first complete Indian meal. Ben LOVED the chicken appetizer we got, and I think the TS's might even try it again some time-at least Caleb will :).
Cadyn showed Ben the toddler-something hotspot Playtopia, and on the final day the weather even cooperated allowing a walk for old-times-sake. We walked to the neighborhood park where Ben had his first handful of dirt. While I never thought his first taste wouldn't be American soil, I won't push him to try it here anytime soon.
his first ball pit
love this pic:)
Ben's first tire swing experience
the foreign-soil remnants
ha!
clearly their fun was not done
While the trip made living so far apart painful all over again, seeing the kiddos together was an absolute blessing. I am so glad I got to spend time with Cadyn before she becomes a big sis (and she's gonna be a great one.) She is an absolute delight to be around and a smart and strong-willed (see also.- ginger-haired) delight at that. Ben still lights up at the mention of Cadyn's name but has thankfully not cried again since first watching the videos of them playing together.
As Tisha mentioned in her post about our trip, we are "alike in all the ways that matter." My admiration for her as a friend is rooted in shared priorities for our families and in her overwhelming love for her child(ren). Did I mention her stellar design sense? THANK YOU TS Family for an amazing trip!!! If next time you can work on the weather, I'll wear my day-drinking hat crown:).






Thanks for the kind words, Jess. It was a great trip :) Cadyn asked again yesterday, 'Where did Jess and Ben go?' And, of course, this weekend is beautiful and high 60s F ;) Here is to great memories and making more (in person!) soon!
ReplyDeleteSo much fun! I loved both of your posts, and I am shocked that you allowed the kids into a ball pit. Shocked!
ReplyDelete