Yes, the day finally came and we had Ben's first swim lesson this morning. I have to give much credit to our local YMCA for their amazing facilities. They have a family locker room with restrooms, a big shower and lots of private locked dressing rooms for family use. Ben and I took a shower with our suits on but then had a totally private changing room with a large bench to lay him on. They also have one large restroom with a shower in it if you're lucky enough to snag it, although our plan worked well. I was very impressed at how far they've come since I was a waterbaby/kiddo.
As for the lesson, Ben loved it. Last weeks introduction was a great idea as Ben instantly laid on his tummy and started kicking, (impressing lots of other baby mamas.) He put his mouth and nose in several times and the water splashed over his face while he was on his back. This instructor doesn't push dunking them and leaves it to parent discretion. I decided we'd take the dunking slow as Ben seems to love the water and not mind it on his face, so I'll let him dictate the pace for a while. We were in the pool about 10 minutes early and that coupled with the 30 minute class was just about perfect.
Near the end of the class we did an activity where I would throw a toy out in front of us and encourage Ben to "paddle" reach for it. After just the second try, he would cry in devastation when I would take the toy he had just worked so hard to reach, and was now gnawing on, and throw it once again. I guess I can't blame him-it is pretty mean and there was no game in it to him.
Ryan will take the helm next week and I will try to get pics sometime in the 3 remaining sessions.
What we have to look forward to this summer!!


Yay - so happy Ben enjoyed it! You are right, the YMCA facilities are very accommodating.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear it went well! We will have to go to the Y together soon. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool! Must look for lessons in my area!
ReplyDelete